1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

5 Myths of Fatherhood

Discussion in 'Dad Talk' started by MrHandy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

I like reading articles online while my kids are in school or asleep. Staying at home and having all your time in your control can bring boredom so I pass my time this way.

I found a good read about the 5 Myths of Fatherhood, and the author shares some pretty good insights that many people should know.

here's the article I found:

http://www.fathersforum.com/uncategorized/the-5-myths-of-fatherhood/

2. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

These are myths, but are still believed by many people up to this day. It was a great read @MrHandy, thank you! :)

3. I always hated the dad myth that men dont do the family work - while it is at most times true, you cant generalize men like that... :(

4. Princess

Princess Active Member

Yeah. I know a lot of men who are family guys, and they are really the sweetest! Guys should not be underestimated all the time just because of some silly boys who don't want to grow up.

5. Rrrobert

Rrrobert Member

I dont mean to burst your bubble, but some dads are just like that. I mean, the generalization wouldnt be made if there weren't cases of it being true... just like my dad. Which is why i swore to be nothing like my father.

6. Christie

Christie Active Member

I heard in news and watched some horrible documentaries about dads raping and killing their children, while others kept beating their wives. The reality is, there will always be dads like those. But there is hope because a lot of men are good guys too.

7. well okay, yes @Rrrobert and @Christie both have points that there are dads out there that are actually doing such violent and extreme acts. we shouldnt blame them but rather help them - these wouldnt happen anyway if we had a more fostering and caring community.

8. Peachkins

Peachkins Member

I feel so lucky that I can say that these does sound like myths to me. But I am also aware that it still happens all around the world. To the fathers who are doing it right, be sure you aren't myths to us, but mythical and awesome instead. :D

9. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

Though it's all myth, I really disagree with #3, that dads don't know how to care for young children. I have 3 boys and all of them were well taken cared of by my loving husband when they were newborn. When I needed sleep, my husband would take care of them and whenever I need to run some errands, he takes charge of the baby. He knows how to change diapers and wash their clothes.

10. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

Yes to that! I've been raising our kids since my eldest child is 6 years old :) My wife is very tired by the time she comes home from her 9 to 5, but we make it a point to have her weekends for us. I can definitely say that dads know how to care for their children :)

11. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

Wow! You are such an understanding and caring father. Keep it up :D

12. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

Kudos to you then and keep it up! Moms need husbands like you. Lol. But seriously, I wish all dads are considerate and caring like you (and my husband) and appreciate the efforts of moms when they work either from home or outside home.

13. Rrrobert

Rrrobert Member

Mr Ideal Man, @MrHandy! haha. you know we dads should stick together and be better role models to the others - there's no shame in being a house husband/stay at home dad. Especially, if it means that our kids will be taken care of! :)

14. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

Haha, not that I'm saying I don't have faults every now and then, but a balanced life is a key to happiness. I still hang out with the boys, it's a promise we haven't broken for so long :D Having a home business gave me that chance to balance everything out.

15. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

My husband is just like you. He still goes out with friends every two weeks or so, and he made sure that while the kids are growing up, he is there to guide my two sons. :)

16. that's true! we always had thursdays as bro-day with my buds. we'd share a few beers, and laugh at our lives and how differently they turned out now.