1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Anyone love gardening?

Discussion in 'Empty Nest' started by MrHandy, Jan 8, 2017.

1. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

I absolutely love gardening. Most of our veggies come from our backyard during summer until early fall, when the plants start to die. During late fall and winter, we have our indoor plants, mostly herbs and leafy greens.

I plant tomatoes, potatoes and beets, beans, different kinds of squash, eggplants, okra, and peppers. Zucchini sometimes and we also have arugula and lettuce :D

2. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Oh I love gardening during the summer! Me and my friends would save up the seeds from fruits and veggies so we can start the seedlings indoors during spring.
    By summer, we have tons of fresh produce that are organic and pesticide-free :D

3. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I personally have miniature potted plants for my fresh herbs! I have basil, parsley and many others! I get to have a hobby, and I save off from buying dried herbs! its a win-win! :)

4. I'd love to try growing my own flowers! the only problem I have is that I don't have enough space and time. but maybe I can try small and do bonsai trees and miniature planting like you, @iamevallain! I'll keep you guys posted! :)

5. Rrrobert

Rrrobert Member

when I was a kid our whole backyard was filled with vegetables! but sadly we had to move away and sold that house. my dream is to buy that house, or build a house just like it! its a simple way to keep the family self-sustaining and help the environment as well! :)

6. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I don't have a green thumb but I sure love flowers in my garden! I don't plant them, I let my husband do the thing and I just water them every morning. :)

7. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Do you dry your own herbs from those potted plants? Sounds like a great idea!

8. Princess

Princess Active Member

I remember our house too when we were kids. We also have a vegetable garden, with a composting pit at the corner. We also have lemon, mango and banana trees. We just pick off the trees and enjoy the fresh food :)

9. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

a little tip, since its gonna be a miniature garden, use minimal amounts of water (a spritzer is advised!) when watering the plants. you don't want them to drown! good luck and keep us posted! :)

10. thanks @iamevallain! I'll start planting some basil tomorrow, so I can make my own pesto! yum yum! :)

11. Rrrobert

Rrrobert Member

wow! mangoes and bananas! I'd love to plant my own fruit trees. but it just takes a tad bit too long to grow, sadly. haha.

12. Christie

Christie Active Member

We have fruit trees too. My parents planted them when they first moved into the house, so I'm planning to do the same soon so my kids can enjoy fruit in a few years.