1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Battle of names!

Discussion in 'Baby Names' started by Sue, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Sue

Sue New Member

Both my husband and I are having a hard time agreeing on a name for our baby. We just can't seem to come to a consensus. Any suggestions to make this easier and not so stressful???

2. Momma2015

Momma2015 New Member

Sue
    I understand what you mean! my husband and I went through the same thing when trying to name our baby. Every name I liked, he didn't and vise versa. It finally came down to weeks and we didn't have a name we both loved...I don't know how to make it any easier but we decided since it was a girl I would chose the name, and if we ever have a boy he can pick the name! Plus he got to pick the middle name so that has to count for something right!? Good luck!

3. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Wow! A battle over names! I didn't realize that could happen, I was actually thinking on the premise that, even though you have come up with names for your child once you see them they will definitely let you know their name. At least, that's what I thought of.

I would suggest if you guys could come up with like a top 5 or 10 names and then decide from there, a system could work especially when you know the meaning attached to the name you are choosing and a sort of value.

4. We did the same thing! Haha. I get to choose the girl's name, he gets to name our baby boy. Good thing we have both genders now. What some other parents do is they combine the names they like to complete a child's name and if it sounded okay, they give that name. Good luck with the battle! :)

5. We did the same thing! Haha. I get to choose the girl's name, he gets to name our baby boy. Good thing we have both genders now. What some other parents do is they combine the names they like to complete a child's name and if it sounded okay, they give that name. Good luck with the battle! :)

6. We did the same thing! Haha. I get to choose the girl's name, he gets to name our baby boy. Good thing we have both genders now. What some other parents do is they combine the names they like to complete a child's name and if it sounded okay, they give that name. Good luck with the battle! :)

7. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

Went through the same thing here! It took a long time, and 3 lists, but we got to agree over a name eventually. We decided to narrow it down to standards. 1) None of our friends' babies have names like it, 2) It sounds good repeating it over and over (we even practiced yelling it, you know, for when we are angry at him in the future, just kidding, a little), and 3) the initials of his name would not spell something nasty. We got there. :D You'll get there too.

Solange Diaz likes this.
  8. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Number 3 --> Good job! :D :D :D
    This is actually a good idea. Haha. Although we didn't have this dilemma, my husband and I almost always agreed on the names, and the difficult part was choosing from the pool of names we both love! :p

Leiah likes this.
  9. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I agree that the name must sound good if repeated over and over again because your child will be stuck with it for the rest of his life. i also read a funny quote somewhere that said to make sure the last letter of your child's name should end with a vowel so that the sound will carry when you shout it out. Works for us. Enzooooooo!

10. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

So after reading this I tried several names ending with vowels and consonants. Hubby thinks I'm going crazy :D :p
    And you know what, you are right! Vowels do give that effect haha! I'm taking this into my notes! :p

Solange Diaz likes this.
  11. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

You guys could try combining your names or your parents' names. Or you could try buying a baby names book. That was what we did during my first pregnancy so many wonderful names to choose from haha. But don't let it sound too complicated or peculiar.

12. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Combining names is a bit difficult, I remember from the twilight movie, the little girl's name is renesmee. I know the intention is noble but it is so peculiar at most that it doesn't sound cool at all.

13. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Yeah, it depends on the names you combine though. I have a cousin, his name is a combination of his grandfathers from both sides. Robert Earnest. Guess it really depends. The baby names book really help a lot.

14. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

That's actually a cool name! Yeah, I agree. This one's just gonna be something based on the choice of the parents. I do hope that there won't be any disagreements with the name of my child/ren.