1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Best type of pregnancy test

Discussion in 'Am I pregnant?' started by Sue, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Sue

Sue New Member

There are so many different options for pregnancy tests on the market. How do I know which one will be the most accurate, yet cost effective? Any suggestions?

2. Momma2015

Momma2015 New Member

Hi Sue,
    In my experience anything with a digital reader seemed to be more accurate than those that just shows "lines" The digital pregnancy readers are more costly, but i believe the price is worth the more accurate answer ;)

3. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

When I went to my OB the first time to ask to confirm if I am pregnant, she asked me if i tried a home pregnancy test kit already. I answered that I have tried 8. yes, 8 different kinds. i have tried the digital ones, the strips that changes color, the ones that shows lines, and the ones that turns into pluses. And I tried them twice each. It got pretty expensive. Don't know why i didn't just settle for one type. They all showed the same thing. then my Dr said that pregnancy kits are pretty accurate these days so instead of doing another test, she told me let's go straight to ultrasound to check how the foetus is doing. And there it was, a heartbeat. So I dare say, choose the 1 you can afford, and do it twice. Don't have to try 8, like I did.

4. Hey Sue!

With the advent of technology, I think majority of the test kits in the market right now are indeed going to give you a fairly accurate result depending on the scenario you are in. Keep in mind that these kits are designed to detect human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) (yes, I Googled that!) the pregnancy hormones. There are only a couple of situations that results could be questionable but you have your OB GYN for that.

5. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

The best option would be to consult an OB. Yes there are many commercially available pregnancy test kits, but they're not really accurate. Many would cause false positive or false negative results. Might as well go straight to an OB.

6. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

What I did was to buy 2 different brands of pregnancy test, then when they both turned positive, that's when I went to the OB to confirm. I remember a classmate of mine who was so happy when she got a positive in the PT, but when she went to the OB it was a false positive. Imagine the heartbreak it caused her.

7. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

That is heartbreaking and scary at the same time. Having a positive results and then, be told that it was a false negative. I could imagine it being very difficult especially for those who are waiting for a long time. Devastating, I do not wish that for anyone.

I think just to be on the safe side, if a test kit yields positive then you visit your OB and get an ultrasound. There's no false positive on that one right?

8. When your test kit shows positive results there's always something. It could be something to be happy about or the opposite. What's important is that you know what's happening and you get the idea on how to resolve it.

9. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I bought a regular strip test but lots of em. and when i went to the OB to confirm pregnancy she said home tests these days are more accurate than ever so she went straight to tVs.

10. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

@Solange Diaz You mean, our also took more than 3 kits? That's a lot of pee!