1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Breastfeeding and bullied

Discussion in 'General Breastfeeding' started by Honeylette, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Okay, so I understand that many people still aren't used to seeing mommies breastfeeding in public. But to actually shout at them and tell them names, or insult them is a bit too much. Some are even cussed at or confronted in a very angry manner. I think it is not necessary at all.

Even online, when someone shares a viral photo or video while breastfeeding, they are shamed and bullied. What do you think about this?

2. I don't understand why they need to bother looking at moms who breastfeed if they don't like the act. I just don't. Why can they just let them be? If they don't like it, then just leave. No need to make a scene or what. Better mind their own business.

3. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

This is the reason why we, the breastfeeding advocate should always support groups to spread the normalizing of breastfeeding in public, whether the mom prefers to cover or not. I am actually happy with the ongoing photos spreading around using PicsArt because it helps breastfeeding moms to let others be aware that it is normal.

4. Summer

Summer Member

I actually had an experience with this one. We were shopping for my daughter's clothes in a mall and then my daughter was crying and wanted milk. The breastfeeding station is on the 3rd floor and we were on the 1st floor inside the department store, she was hungrily crying and what I did was I sat down in a seat near shoes section and fed her. a couple of saleslady were looking at me as if I am naked. I was even covering my shoulders with a scarf and people wouldn't notice my baby latching. I just don't get it. My husband said don't mind them because I am not doing anything wrong, I am feeding my baby.

5. LizB

LizB Member

I dont inderstand it either. I plan to breastfeed and I dont care who sees and what they say. Fortunately, i live in a very tolerant city and I see moms bfeeding everywhere. I feel confident it will be ok. And I want to help other moms feel this way too.

6. Peachkins

Peachkins Member

I actually got criticized for breastfeeding in public once but I was the one who bullied them back. I called them green-minded and that they should stop shaming women in public. Not my finest moment, but I wont take it and let it slide. Nope.

7. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

The ongoing artsy brelfie is a very good move to help normalize breastfeeding. As for those who doesn't like the idea of breastfeeding in public, well they have to live with it because as long as there are moms who breastfeed, they will all be stressed out seeing moms breastfeeding in public. They are free to cover their eyes if they want to. Haha.

8. Way to go mom! There are just some people who doesn't only stare but also give nasty comments about you and your act of breastfeeding. Sometimes they need some lecture too.

9. There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public. I do not get and would not understand why some would go as far as bullying a mom feeding her child in public. It is a twisted behavior coming from a twisted mindset.

10. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

I remember seeing a "meme" over my newsfeed saying that how come they don't see anything wrong with a woman posing nude while they go ranting over a mom who is breastfeeding, "feeding" her child. Makes no sense.

11. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Sadly, it seems people who would bully a mom breastfeeding in public has no compassion and lacks gentleness, which is sad.

12. Christie

Christie Active Member

I once saw a video where this guy was telling the mom breastfeeding in the bench park to "go to Africa!" and spat on the ground. It was horrible :(

13. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

It's sad how there are still people who shame moms who try to breastfeed in public. Sometimes even if there is a cover and you can barely see it. I wonder what grudge they have against it..

14. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Thanks for your replies everyone! It's just sad to know how many people still can't accept that breastfeeding is normal and how they still react very negatively towards those who do it :(

15. Princess

Princess Active Member

It's sad that the salesladies do that. I mean, they are women, and surely they should know that we only want what's best for our babies. Besides, you did cover up so they should mind their own business. :(

16. Christie

Christie Active Member

Maybe they were worried that they could get fired for not letting you breastfeed in the breastfeeding area? But yes, many people are still not open to the idea and they are taking it out in a very negative way.

17. The lack of compassion is repelling. Not being feminist or anything biased, but it would've been better if they helped you out.

18. Rrrobert

Rrrobert Member

as I've grown older and wiser, through the journey of parenthood (they say I did it too early. lol.), I know now how important it is for a mother to breastfeed her child without feeling that she is committing a crime, or doing something obscene. It is our society today, that has continuously oppressed women of their rights, that should stop. not the natural, life giving process of caring and rearing for a child.

Summer likes this.
  19. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

I remember my wife coming home crying when our youngest was still under a year old. She just wanted a quiet stay at the park and brought my baby there. She said a group of people, men and women, told her to "******* go home, native", and other insults. I think the government needs to do something about this.

20. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

That's really intense. I mean, why insult a mom who is just trying to feed her baby?! Shouldn't they mind their own business, after all, the park is for everyone :(