1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

cellphones?

Discussion in 'Primary School Age' started by rogerscarla171, Jan 13, 2017.

1. How young is too young? me and my husband debated on whether giving our kids cellphones (before) in order for them to contact us whenever there's an emergency. but, some say that it can dull their brains. my question is, at what age is it appropriate to give our kids phones?

2. I think when they're in the third grade, they're responsible enough to own a mobile phone. with times today, you just can't be too extra cautious.

3. Summer

Summer Member

I had my first phone when I was in high school. Everyone in my class have their own classy phone so I asked my father to buy me the latest one. :)

4. I had my first phone when I was in college. An Ericsson phone with an antenna. Hahaha. Very old school phone. Anyway, I think it is too early to give it to someone 12 years old below. When they reach their teen age, then I could consider giving them a phone. Right now, my daughter has a tablet that she uses to watch You Tube but she never asks me (not yet) to buy her a phone. Thank God. :)

5. LizB

LizB Member

A recent ad I saw said that the right age to give kids any kind of gadget is 11 years old. But before then, if they really need a phone, you could give them the classic ones, emphasizing that it is for purpose of communications. Personally, I think 11 is a little too long. I plan to give my kid a cp maybe when he's around 9.

6. Why a little early? The kid will be in elementary by that age? If it's a basic phone, then I guess that's fine but if the kid requests for an android phone, I would hesitate.

7. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

My daughter who is 6 years old is asking me to buy her a phone with a camera. Hahaha. I told her she should be fine with the tablet we gave her and it has a camera. Besides, kids are not allowed to bring phones in school so they won't need it at this time.

8. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

For me when they are already in high school. I don't think they need it at this early age.

9. this is my justification. haha. I don't plan on giving my kid a smartphone at a young age - I'd probably let him work for it until he's in high school. lol

10. With the increasing number of robbery and killings, if a robber sees a child a smartphone, he might take advantage of the child which what we are avoiding. This can cause a lot of problems especially if they bring this outside.

11. So i guess it really depends on parents. and their trust on their children. :)

12. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

IMO, phones shouldn't be necessary until they're in highschool. its an unnecessary distratction to kids.

13. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

I got my first cell phone during high school. It was strictly monitored by my parents, and I can usually only touch it for 2 hours a day after I did all my homework and chores so I think I will do that too.

14. Rrrobert

Rrrobert Member

Highschool. it's the most optimal time to allow them ownership of a phone, in my opinion. they're at that stage where they're old enough to know responsible ownership of things.

15. Well, thanks for all the opinions everyone! I'll use this the next time around one of my kids want another gadget. haha.

16. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

17. Christie

Christie Active Member

I don't want my kids to be addicted to cell phones too early on. I know I am guilty of it so no phones for them until they reach 16.

18. Joy

Joy Guest

The right age to give kids their first cell phone is really up to us. Age isn't as important as kid's maturity level, ability to follow home (and their schools') rules, and their sense of responsibility. If you think their technological savvy is greater than their ability to use it wisely, pay attention to the gap. You may need to say, "No, not yet."