1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Constipation

Discussion in '2nd Trimester' started by JennyCannes, Nov 7, 2016.

1. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

Hi again guys! Since I'm on strict bed rest, I think I'm having trouble with bowel movement.
    My body is very used to me moving around a lot, and now I'm constipated. I'm thinking that this can also be from the extra iron supplement I'm taking, apart from prenatals which only has a small amount of iron, I take ferrous sulphate tabs. Any advice as to how I can keep taking iron but have better bowel movement?

2. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Try easing up on the ferrous sulphate tablets for now since you already take the prenatal vitamins which have some iron on them, at least while your activities are limited.
    Foods rich in fiber are a good thing to take as well as they help in good bowel movement.

Dilly's Mom likes this.
  3. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

You may want to drink up tons of water. It will make you urinate though, like A LOT! But it should help ease up the constipation.
    Fiber rich foods are good too like bran and wheat, just like HappyMum said :)

4. I was about to recommend you drink coffee because that makes me bowel everyday, but I remember you are pregnant. :) Eat fruits with lots of fiber, it helps for sure. And yes, lots and lots of water.

5. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I used to love coffee too, but OB won't let me take it.

I do drink a lot of water too, but sometimes I have to go pee every 30 minutes :( I guess I'll ask OB if I can stop taking the additional ferrous sulphate tabs in the meantime.

6. I remember when I was pregnant, I still drink coffee but in a very minimal amount. I used to work graveyard and I sometimes really fell asleep while working and the only thing that can wake me up is coffee. My OB gave me a go signal though but reminded me that I can't have too much of it.

7. Christie

Christie Active Member

I love eating fiber-rich fruits and veggies, and even if I am on bed rest I don't have much trouble with bowel movement. But of all the things I eat or drink, unsweetened natural pineapple juice is the one I loved the most. I read the nutrition facts and it says there that it has a high percent of dietary fiber. You can try that if you like pineapples. :)

8. Princess

Princess Active Member

I love pineapples and their juice! It just makes me feel that summery vibe :p
    Sometimes I take a lot of coconut water. It's really good and keeps my hydrated, which in turn helps me avoid constipation :)

9. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I was told to eat prunes and drink prune juice. it tasted horrible to me ( i hate prunes) , but it did the job :)

10. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

My OB gave me senna which freaked me.out at first bec I heard f you take too much it can cause contractions. But turned out well in the end. I mean, i was backed up 5 days so at that point i said, what the heck.

11. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

Prune juice didnt work for me at all :( someone said to try downing maple syrup but the thought of drinking maple syrup made me want to gag. So no.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  12. If you cannot deal with prunes, try to snack on small amount of raisins. Usually, if I do not have the power to eat a lot of fruits, I eat corn, the boiled one with no added salt or anything. I could also opt for popcorn, again holding any additional salt and flavorings.

13. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

I drink green tea occasionally. It helps with bowel movement. You should try it too, a cup of green tea every once in a while. Or you could drink some probiotic drinks and yogurt.

14. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I can see how important this is, I can only imagine the baby and the poop fighting for the limited space in your belly, plus the bladder too! Man, that's tough! Anyway, for me, I go for fresh celery and turnips.

15. I had the same problem that my stomach was so hard and it was a bit painful already, bloated actually. I went to the emergency room and the doctors found that my poop is the reason, so I had to have suppository just to poop that day and relieve the baby and my body of stress.

16. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I don't know, but I could be a bit embarrassed to know that I just need to poop :D But I guess it was really important at the time.

17. I KNOW! I was sooo embarrassed and I couldn't imagine what to think of next before they send me out of the hospital.