1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

D&C surgery

Discussion in 'Labor and Birth' started by mommyof1, Nov 6, 2016.

1. mommyof1

mommyof1 New Member

I have a baby a little over 1 week old. About 3 days ago I woke up in the middle of the night with excruciating pain in my uterus. At 2am my husband took me to the emergency room and removed some blood clots with a forcep. The next day my Doctor called and said he thinks I need to have a D&C. I am scheduled to go in tomorrow morning. I am not having near as much pain, but still some here and there. Has anyone experienced this before or have any imput! Thanks

2. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

When you give birth but have blood clots left in your uterus, it causes discomfort and pain, as well as some bleeding. Nothing to worry about though as D&C is a minor procedure and you can immediately recover afterwards,although you'd probably be very tired from the stress. After the procedure, usually within a day or two, everything will be back to normal.

3. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

D&C is quite a minor procedure. You can even go home a few hours after the procedure. Please don't stress about it anymore. Goodluck and hope you get to enjoy your time now with your newborn!

4. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I hope everything turns out okay. As they said, it's a minor procedure but still quite anxiety-inducing. Just think to yourself that you're better off with the D&C than without. If the clot stays in there you could get infected and it might get into your blood stream and that is so much worse. Let us know how it goes!

5. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Our prayers are with you! I hope they get every clot out and you'll get back on track. Giving birth is already stressful enough and having to take care of the baby, so this is an additional bump.
    But just pray, keep calm, and always know we're cheering for you :)

6. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

How does that happen? I mean, what causes it? I am curious about that as none of my friends or someone I know experienced that. Are you asleep during the procedure?

7. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Sometimes with normal delivery, a few blood clots and placenta fragments are not delivered completely. There are also times when the uterus doesn't stay contracted, and causes bleeding to continue and clot inside the uterus. OB and nurses usually instruct patients to massage the uterus for the first few hours after delivery to stop or minimize the natural bleeding within.

8. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Does this happen to most of the women with normal delivery? Does it hurt? Aww, i am trying to imagine how that feels. It could be very painful when you get that after delivery. Now I am thinking I am thankful I got C Section.

9. Christie

Christie Active Member

How's everything so far? I hope you are doing okay after the procedure and that everything will get back to normal..

10. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Hi! You must be tired, but I hope you're recovering well and resting right now. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery from the D&C.. :)

11. I think what's great is that the doctor found out sooner than later as it could be a major problem if not removed. I hope you feel better soon and that you won't need to undergo a similar situation in the future.

12. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I hope that it's just one procedure and you won't have to endure it again as well. Is it something that the doctors could have identified sooner before you were sent home, or is it just discovered after? I am wondering if it is something that could have been prevented earlier so you won't have to endure the pain.

13. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Hi @mommyof1 ! How are you now? How did the procedure go? I hope you're doing better now. Did your OB discuss with you why it happened? What caused it?

14. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

She hasn't responded yet, but I am hoping that she is now better. I am thinking if it could be some sort of medical malpractice?

15. I am hoping it isn't. There are certainly scenarios where in you don't get all the blood out, but it should've been addressed after the delivery, which is why you still menstruate and bleed continuously for several days. My old fashioned mom was even giving me some sort of Chinese balm to apply on my tummy to make sure the process goes smoothly.