1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Don't eat cold cuts

Discussion in '1st Trimester' started by Princess, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Princess

Princess Active Member

Did you know that pregnant moms are not supposed to eat cold cuts?
    Hams, smoked turkey and beef, cured meats can cause listeria. The good thing is, if you heat it up well (and they're not "cold" cuts anymore), you can eat it even if you are pregnant.

2. Christie

Christie Active Member

I love cold cuts, especially in sandwiches or with cheese. Sadly, my husband is against most processed or smoked/cured meat, so we barely have any. But yes, I heard that it has a risk for listeria.

3. Summer

Summer Member

I guess it is best to heat it up if you want to them to be on the safe side. What is listeria?

4. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I did eat lots of deli when i was pregnant. it was just so easy to cook. but I made sure that it was cooked, for sure. :D

5. Listeria, or Listeriosis, is a bacterial infection usually attacking elderly people or pregnant women - due to the weakened immune system. I read from an article that an estimated 1,600 people get listeriosis each year, and about 260 die. let's keep safe people!

JennyCannes likes this.
  6. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

Better to be safe than sorry! Besides, I like food much better when it's warm :p

7. but there are risks as well with cooked food - especially if not prepared in a sanitary environment. My advice to all of you is just to prepare your own food, at least you'll know how it was made and what's inside the food. :)

8. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

Thanks for the reminder! My youngest sister is 5 weeks pregnant and I want to make sure she follows everything well. She is such an unhealthy eater :(

9. My cousin's wife was pregnant about 2 years ago. she had a hard time to remove and cleanse the junk food (potato chips, sodas, etc) from her system - but all of it was worth it to see to it that she was able to deliver her baby successfully.

10. Joy

Joy Guest

Pregnant women should follow safe food handling guidelines. Eating cold cuts could harm particularly dangerous for pregnant women because it can harbor parasites or bacteria. And eating healthy foods is a lifestyle. Let's be safe. :)