1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

First Aid for Infants and Babies

Discussion in 'General Postnatal Chat' started by HappyMum, Dec 6, 2016.

1. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

We all wish for our family and children to be well all the time. We take care of them, and try to keep them from harm's way. But sometimes, we can't prevent accidents from happening, and that's why we should be prepared.

I've compiled some videos on basic first aid I found useful. These are for babies. Take time to watch them :)

http://maternityforum.com/index.php?media/albums/first-aid-for-babies.25/

JennyCannes likes this.
  2. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

Thank you for this post. Every parent, grandparent, aunt and uncle, and basically anyone who is around children must know how to do these while waiting for the ambulance to come. It can save your baby's life :)

3. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Hopefully none of us will be using it in the future but it is good to be prepared for anything. Thank you for sharing! :)

4. Summer

Summer Member

Thank you for sharing this @HappyMum I needed this since I am most of the time alone with my baby and my husband is most of the time at work. I love these kinds of compilation because it really helps new moms like me who has no clue on how to do first aid with a baby. Thank you again. :)

5. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

I really do pray that we will never find a need to use this, but it is of course best to be prepared for anything, especially when it comes to children. Thanks for the videos! :D

6. Christie

Christie Active Member

Thank you! This is useful information, and I agree that we do need to learn and be prepared always.

7. Princess

Princess Active Member

Wow, thank you so much for this! I really wanted to go to those Red Cross seminars and trainings for first aid.

8. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Thank you for this information, I must admit that although I had training with Red Cross I am still not sure if I will be able to do it when time comes because I am not used to doing it. I might panic first and not be able to have the wits to proceed with the saving part. I do hope I won't need to visit in a crucial hour though.

9. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Don't worry, we all feel that way but human nature comes when the need arises, and you will find that you can do it if you really have to. (I PRAY NOT, of course ;))

10. I think some portion of the saving part is maternal instincts, rather than training. If your kid is choking, you would do your best to clear his airways first and then, check on what other things you could do. For myself, I have my pedia in the speed dial in case something happens and I would need some assistance from her.

11. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

I agree, but just in case the pedia has her hands full and no one is available, and sometimes it happens, we do want to have a bit of knowledge on what to do. Because sometimes what we think is the solution can make things worse.

My bet would always be to call 911, but I remember my friend who went camping and the signal was soo poor to almost none, they couldn't ask anyone for help. Good thing their brother had a training at red cross.

12. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Yeah @Honeylette I heard news and stories about some people who tried to help or do something when they can't reach or call for help and ended up causing even more harm.

That's why the government encourages to call but at certain situations like a dead battery, no reception, or other emergencies, a training can get in handy to minimize damage and danger.

13. Christie

Christie Active Member

Call me crazy, but when I watch those thriller movies or documentaries where there are emergencies in the middle of nowhere, I get paranoid about these things. Sometimes these can happen - no battery, no signal etc. Or you get lost in the middle of a trip, what if these happen? We do need to get prepared for the worst.

14. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

This reminds me to buy a powerbank just in case, and check in advance before long trips if the areas have cellular reception :p

15. RoNa

RoNa Administrator

I hope we will not get the chance to experience these in the future. Thank you for sharing. It is always good to be prepared at all times.

16. Love

Love Guest

This is a very helpful information! We should always be prepared and learn to provide care when it's needed most.

RoNa likes this.