1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Foster-to-Adopt

Discussion in 'General Adoption Chat' started by HappyMum, Nov 7, 2016.

1. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

My aunt was a foster parent, as well as her daughter. My cousin did fostering since they want a fairly large family, but don't want to get pregnant after their 2nd child. She had two high-risk pregnancies and preeclampsia on the second one which is why I understand her decision. Her love for kids is so great, that they fostered 2 kids and adopted them after into their family.

I want to start the process (foster to adopt) since we now have a lot of free time in our hands, but I'm not sure how long the paperwork takes, or what to do even. Do you think it's a good idea? Any suggestions or advice would be great!

2. Princess

Princess Active Member

I believe that you both have to be able to have a few successful placements or fosterings under your care before the government will allow you to go on a foster-to-adopt journey. Social workers usually will evaluate if you are fit to be foster parents before they let you adopt any child, regardless if you have perfect chemistry or not.

3. Christie

Christie Active Member

Foster to adopt is good for its cause. A lot of kids in adoption houses are either orphaned, or came from an abusive family. These kids do need love and what better way to give them love than to make them an official part of your family? :)

4. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Good luck on fostering and adopting! Please share your journey with us as time goes :)

QUOTE="Christie, post: 577, member: 15"]Foster to adopt is good for its cause. A lot of kids in adoption houses are either orphaned, or came from an abusive family. These kids do need love and what better way to give them love than to make them an official part of your family? :)[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree. We should also send love to those children who have been deprived of it, and those who feel that they have been abandoned or those who lost hope already..

5. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I think it's a great idea! it might be a tad more complicated than adopting an infant, but love is love is love.

6. I do believe offering foster care could be a lot easier than adopting directly, so you and the child could establish a relationship or bond before anything happens. But be also sure to be in touch with the social worker, because sometimes when they are in foster care, they get to be rotated to different homes and that would make it difficult for you and the child.

7. Princess

Princess Active Member

When I was a lot younger I thought adopting is easy. Who knew there are so many processes involved and that they need so much time?
    But I guess fostering really is a good way to deal with it so you can bond with the child as rogerscarla171 said :)

8. Christie

Christie Active Member

Ask the social workers in your local community regarding the process so you don't leave anything out, and so that they can help you in your adoption process once you decide that you want to push through with it after fostering a child.

9. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

I think I will consider this someday when the kids leave too. It will be a long time before that happens I hope, but what you're doing now is inspiring.
    It will help spread love and find permanent loving families for those wonderful children who need them. :)

10. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

I wish we can find a child that's compatible with us and who would love to stay with us. My husband and I still haven't made up out minds, he has hos mind set on a few trips he saved up for us in time when our children leave home and start their own lives. It still is sad, but I'm happy for my two young men.

11. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

That's a great idea, what's awesome is that you could offer a lot of help to children who doesn't have a family to take care of them.