1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Gestational Diabetes

Discussion in 'High Risk Pregnancy' started by iamevallain, Dec 11, 2016.

1. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

What are the things to consider if you have GD? Diabetes runs in my family and I am a little overweight. My friend had gestational diabetes and she had the CS, do all GD sufferers immediately ruled out to give birth through CS?

2. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

As far as I know, if you have this at first test, they will advice you to refrain from eating sweets and fatty foods. Then you will need another test to see if they can rule it out. If in case you still have GD then you will surely be recommended for CS. That is why it is important that you watch what you eat when you are pregnant especially with eating sweets because you might get GD even if you don't have history of it.

3. Peachkins

Peachkins Member

Diet is the only thing you can control. If you hit all the right scores at the GD tests, they might still consider CS. The thing with GD though is that pregnancy wreaks havoc on your system so you have to be super strict about what you eat to stay on point.

4. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I did not have GD, but I was already a Diabetic getting into pregnancy. So from Day 1, I had to follow a strict diet and take more suitable medicines for pregnancy. When you have GD, you do not need medicines yet, and that is so much safer. But it also means that you have to really stick to the diet provided by the nutritionist. It's easy to say avoid sugary and fatty food, but the truth is, it's all about the balance. A nutritionist will be able to create a menu plan for you, which will ensure that you and the baby get the nutrients you need, the most realistic way possible. They are also able to suggest the best way to cook food (and even recipes!) so that you get all the nutritional benefits. I actually received a small booklet from the hospital with suggested recipes for diabetics and those with GD. It took a couple of hours and a couple of bucks, but the take home was worth it.

5. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Most likely, GD moms are put on CS to lower risks during childbirth. Try to coordinate with the nutritionist to be sure that your sugar is well-controlled, and that your nutritional and caloric intake is enough throughout the day.

Nutritionists nowadays have great menu plans that will keep you satisfied through the day and the food is tasty so you don't have to worry about not liking it. :)

6. That's very unfortunate, I think the best thing about this situation is that you were able to give birth safely to your kid.

If Diabetes runs in your family, it is time for you to watch what you eat and start exercising. Considering you are overweight, you are most likely to get it too, if you don't rethink your choices moving forward.

7. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

I agree with @rogerscarla171 lifestyle modifications are your best bet if diabetes does run around the family. It's highly genetic and really triggered by intake of too much carbs and sugars.

8. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

The best way to know is to talk to your OB about it so you can discuss your options :) I have a friend with recurring gestational diabetes and she always had normal delivery.

She would complain thay they would do this OGTT test with every pregnancy and she is made to drink a very sweet concoction then have her blood drawn after. Then she says that her blood sugar is measured 6times per day.

9. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

That OGTT came flashing back to me! I hate that orange drink that is sooo sweet. I had to take them twice for the two tests, I thought I will get sick after drinking it. The taste was so awful.

10. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Haha, so it really is that awful even if it's sweet?

11. Christie

Christie Active Member

Oh I had that too! It was too sweet, the kind that is like syrup mixed with even more sugar, and you just want to throw up when you get halfway through the bottle!

12. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

That sounds really too sweet. I wonder hwy you need to drink that for the test if you already have GD?

13. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

I think to determine how your body reacts to too much sugar? And if your sugar level will shoot up or not.