1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Getting pregnant

Discussion in 'Wanting to conceive' started by Momma2015, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Momma2015

Momma2015 New Member

My husband and I are trying for our second baby. I have been on birth control for almost 2 years straight, and have heard that it can take quite a while to get pregnant after being on birth control for so long. Have any mothers had this issue? We haven't been trying for long, but how long do i wait before i decide to see a Dr if it doesn't happen?! Thanks!
  2. RoNa

RoNa Administrator

Hi Cheyenne,

I haven't tried taking birth control though but I have read it somewhere that if you had birth control for quite some time it would take 4 - 5 months to get pregnant and almost 85% of couples would take up to one year. The best approach I guess is to consult your doctor about it.
  3. mommyof1

mommyof1 New Member

Hi Cheyenne,

I actually had that problem. I took birth control for a year and was also using the IUD for a year. After trying for about 9 months with no luck we decided to see our Doctor just to make sure there wasnt something wrong that we didnt know about. Our doctor told us it is normal to take a little longer to get pregnant after being on birth control for so long, but told us if nothing happened in about 6 more months to go check back with him. (about 15 months) It was just around 13 months of trying we finally ended up pregnant with our baby! So... i would give it about 12 months or so before becomming concerned or meeting with a Doctor. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  4. BrooksMommy

BrooksMommy New Member

Hi Cheyenne, the doctor always told us that they don't seek fertility treatments until 12 months after trying and then they start to look into what is wrong because it's false that you ovulate from a different side every month so they say that after 12 months you should
    Have released one good egg.
  5. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Depending on your body's reaction and response to your previous birth control, it may take some time before you can get pregnant. But I have heard and read stories about couples who were able to get pregnant as early as 2 months after stopping BC.

What I know is, just keep trying, especially when you're fertile. Get good nutrition, and also get a doctor's opinon about it. Good luck! :D
    Leiah likes this.
  6. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I would get a doctor's opinion, but wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few months for your body to be necessarily fertile again. I was told there are various methods of speeding up the process, but that is best heard from and guided by your doctor. :) all the best!
  7. Wow! That's amazing! You're finally getting geared up into having your second child, I am pretty sure your eldest would be happily involved as well.

Anyway, in my case what happened was I got pregnant immediately after stopping the birth control method, I was on injectables so like a month or so after stopping the morning sickness happened as well as the loathing I feel about garlic.

I am sure there's no reason to panic, you should take your time and get thing going naturally. Maybe you guys are a bit stressed and we know that it could really get out of hand when you are expecting results right away, so just savor the moment :D
    Dilly's Mom likes this.
  8. Momma2015

Momma2015 New Member

Thank you all so much for your replies! obviously were not to the point that we would be concerned for I havent been off birth control for long, but was curious as to how long to wait if it doesnt happen before i approach a dr. You all are such great help! This forum is amazing, thanks ladies!
    iamevallain and Dilly's Mom like this.
  9. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

This is going to be a mini support group for all of mothers and would be mothers like me, and it is also wonderful to be appreciated. I'm pretty sure the time will come that you will welcome a new bun in the oven. In God's perfect time. :)
  10. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

We're all here for you if you need someone to talk to! :)
    My advice would be to get in tip top shape. Be more active, eat healthier, keep stress out. Do these so by the time you're ready to have the next bundle of joy, your body will readily accept it and make your pregnancy as smooth and easy as ever!
  11. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I wouldn't consider myself trying for a baby yet. I mean my partner and I agreed that we are sort of going to wait until it's time or when it happens. I think you guys are just pressured with the idea. Let it happen and it will all fall into place. :D