1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Greek Mythology-based names

Discussion in 'Baby Names' started by Princess, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Princess

Princess Active Member

I am a huge fan of Greek mythology and somehow I feel that they have really lovely names. I have been reading some stories again lately and I thought Gaia and Persephone are really cute for babies.

Do you know other Greek names that are cute? Do you think it's practical to name your kids after them?

2. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

Persephone was on my short list when we were still guessing the baby's gender. But I had to take it out because my husband said to him it sounded a little pretentious (ouch). I love Gaia and Athena. But Sophia is the winner. :) Then we found out we were having a boy, ha!

3. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

We considered the name Aleksander for our boy. But then decided to go Italian instead :) And also, much shorter to spell out. :D

4. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Persephone is a nice name, but it is a bit mouthful to pronounce or something. I've always liked Athena, Selene and Daphne. They sound so feminine. But as for a boy's name, I haven't really picked out any favorites haha

5. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I like Athena too, for a girl. I was thinking of Zeus for a boy because it represents strong man. I am not into long and hard to spell and pronounce names though. Some people might mispronounced the name all the time. :)

6. I like Phoenix for a boy, sounds like a free spirit name and carefree. I haven't picked a name for a girl though because there are a lot of them and too many to choose one or two.

7. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Oh those are wonderful names! I like Persephone too but it is quite hard to pronounce for the kids I believe. I like Artemis and Perseus.
    I like Phoenix too, but my husband says that it's a bit weird for a kid to be called like that.

8. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Persephone, very hard to pronounce for me! And they might pronounce it in different ways. :p Since this is not a common name, they might have a hard time calling the name and just ask for the nickname instead.

9. Princess

Princess Active Member

Haha, yes considering the nature of Persephone's story in the mythology.

Looks like you were expecting a baby girl back then :p I remember a cartoon about a kid getting everything in pink because his parents thought they were having a girl :D

10. Princess

Princess Active Member

You're right, and I couldn't even think of a cute nickname for Persephone haha! I should probably stick to one-syllable names for now :p

11. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Perse for a nickname? Haha. Better choose for a one-syllable name so others will not have a hard time calling him.

12. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I don't fancy them because I fear that my child would have difficulty in spelling, and he might get frustrated when almost everyone can't get the pronunciation right. lol. But they are nice, just not for me. :D

13. Christie

Christie Active Member

Awww those names are soooo cute! :) I'd love to have shorter and simpler ones like Hera and Athena, and Gaia as well. Zeus is cute for boys but is a bit common I guess.

14. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

15. I also loved Greek Mythology that I was planning on naming my baby girl Athena. But since I don't have a daughter yet, that ship has yet to sail.

16. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Perse is a cute nickname, I am not exactly sure of Persephone but you're kid will probably get used to it by the time she would need to write it down. You just need to make sure she pronounces it correctly. The difficulty with these names is if you're saying it wrong, you're kid will probably say it wrong as well.

17. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Haha, it all starts from the parents of course :D

18. Yeah, I definitely agree! There are a lot of stuff parents mispronounce and are carried by their kids. Finally, when they come to the right age and someone corrects them, it's quite embarrassing, especially if it's your name!

19. Rrrobert

Rrrobert Member

I would love to name my son Hercules! He'd be so strong and brave!

20. Love

Love Guest

I really like the name "ZOE". Short names are quirky, cute and delightfully easy to spell and pronounce. Zoe means "life" in Greek. :)