1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Had vasectomy and still got pregnant??

Discussion in 'Fertility issues' started by Honeylette, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

So as I mentioned in another thread that we are part of a community with pregnant women, I was surprised to hear someone say that she got pregnant even if her husband had vasectomy. I thought it was supposed to be permanent. Is this really possible?

2. Seriously? I thought those are 100% effective? Gosh, how long did the husband had the vasectomy? Maybe they can consult the doctor who did the vasectomy. Or... gosh, I don't want to think bad but...

3. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

No way! How is that possible? Can they sue the doctor who did the vasectomy? Or maybe they are the 1% isolated cases of vasectomy? That could mean it's not really effective after all.

4. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

It is supposed to be a permanent method of birth control. Maybe something went wrong with the procedure. Or maybe the doctor made a mistake. Successful vasectomies are permanent. Something must have gone wrong somewhere why they were able to conceive.

5. Princess

Princess Active Member

Am I thinking the same thing?

I mean, vasectomy is supposed to be permanent and sure. Maybe the woman had an affair? Or is it really possible, like a rare case, to be pregnant after vasectomy?

6. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

7. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

If that's the case, then it's still possible to conceive based on the things mentioned in the article. I was thinking it could be the #1 on the list, that is if the husband just had vasectomy.

8. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Pretty much. At most times, number 1 on the list is something many couples forget and overlook. Sometimes they are impatient too. Recovery takes time and if you want to be 100% sure, you would find a good doctor to do the vasectomy as well.

9. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Gosh, the doctor/surgeon should remind them constantly to abstain for a while, or if they can't wait that long, use additional contraception to be sure.

10. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I honestly did not know that vasectomies can fail. I was at a family planning seminar before, the public health nurse said that it is fool-proof and effective. But didn't really explain that you have to abstain for a while or that there is a chance that the procedure can fail..

11. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

That's tricky, huh? It is important that the doctor tell them the precautions after the surgery. I am sure that the patient will strictly follow it because the purpose of the surgery is to prevent pregnancy.

12. Christie

Christie Active Member

I heard stories of amateur surgeons doing vasectomy and non succeeding. They "practice" but they don't get it right.
    I just thought that a senior and expert surgeon would supervise them so they won't get mistakes while "practicing".

13. Wow, just wow. I did't think this could happen after reading the article. I was lost for a moment. I'm pretty sure the couple were informed about the do's and don'ts before making love, right? I mean, the husband agreed to have a vasectomy so they will not bear a child and then poof! The wife is now pregnant. Unbelievable.

14. Christie

Christie Active Member

I don't know how I would feel if I were one of the parents. I mean, the fact that we decided to have a vasectomy is to prevent pregnancy. Maybe the funds are too low and they cannot afford any more children and this may affect the pregnancy.

I just hope they love the child just the same and not see this as a negative experience.

15. Princess

Princess Active Member

Yes, but still if they followed the instructions given by their doctors then the pregnancy could have been prevented as well. I hope too that this will not affect how they go about the pregnancy that happened "accidentally".

16. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

We once had neighbors who were like that. They didn't seek any family planning methods but they expressed that they cannot afford another child and didn't want to have another baby, but they did a year after.
    The social worker had to take custody of two of their children including the youngest one because they are almost neglected since the parents can barely make ends meet especially after the birth of the youngest :(

17. Really? Gosh, I wonder about the kids. Honestly, parents need to decide on how many kids they want AND hoe many can they support. I've seen so many cases of this in far communities I went to and it's really heartbreaking to see kids dirty and neglected. Some became beggars on the street.

18. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

@pocketfullofsunshine, we had a case study and immersion in impoverished communities for our thesis. It was brought to our attention that many parents kept having children because they are hoping that at least one of them would turn out successful and bring them the good life. The sad thing is, they can't afford to send these kids to school. It's heartbreaking.

19. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

Overpopulation really makes breaking the cycle of poverty extremely difficult. That is why I believe we should have more programs in the community about family planning, regardless of the prevailing religion in the area. :(

20. That is so heartbreaking. How can they expect for a good life if they can't send the kids to school? If they want a good life, they need to control their family members so they can feed and send them to school.