1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Hair Dying During Pregnancy

Discussion in '1st Trimester' started by HappyMum, Nov 15, 2016.

1. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

My pregnant niece-in-law saw this gorgeous ginger-haired lady and was bugging me about taking her to the salon to dye her hair. I am not into the idea, putting on harsh chemicals on her scalp. She's on her first trimester and I don't want her to take chances. Is dying hair harmful for the pregnant women?

2. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

I think it's best to wait until after pregnancy before dying hair. I don't know if it would cause harm to your growing baby, but I wouldn't take any chances if it were me.

3. Princess

Princess Active Member

I asked a nurse before about it and she told me to avoid using any harsh chemicals for the body during the first trimester just to be sure. She said that this is the time when the major organs and body parts are developed.

4. Christie

Christie Active Member

Does hair dye really affect the baby? What if you have your hair dyed but ask the hair stylist not to touch your scalp?

5. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

@Christie the color won't last as long since the roots are not covered.

I think the best way is to just avoid coloring your hair for now if you are pregnant ;)

6. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

First, the chemicals in the dye itself. Second, if you will dye your hair in the salon, the smell of the dye inside the room. Two reasons why I chose to show my true (root) color when i was pregnant. :)

7. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

I agree with you all. It's better to avoid exposing yourself to harsh chemicals whilst pregnant. The first trimester is crucial, so one should really be careful with whatever she applies.

8. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

There are vegan hair color, which are fairly safe to use for pregnant women. If your hair is blonde and you want a change of color it's like applying conditioner and it's fine, but if you are a brunette and you need bleach to get the color right, then don't risk it.

Honeylette likes this.
  9. I had my hair colored when I was pregnant with my second child, it was a mild kind of hair color. No smell of chemical at all.

10. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Sounds like a good idea. Bleach can be very irritating to the scalp and the smell might be too strong for you. I wonder where I can buy vegan hair color..

11. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I colored my hair too, but a darker shade. I was on my first tri that time, and my hairdresser asked me if I was pregnant. When I told her, she said I can't choose a bright color, so I guess bleaching shouldn't be one of your options.

12. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Why can't you choose a bright color? I dyed my hair a few weeks after I gave birth to my first child. It felt so rewarding because there was time when I felt so ugly after giving birth so I had to pamper myself.

13. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I had my hair colored too. I had it burgundy. I like it. My husband colored my hair when I was pregnant because I don't want to go to the salon because of the smell.

14. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Because of the strong bleach and chemicals needed to make your hair lighter so the strong bright colors can show well :) Pregnant women are more sensitive to these and should use caution. Darker shades are okay.

15. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Ohhh. I never thought about it like that. Thank you for answering :)

16. RoNa

RoNa Administrator

I have read it somewhere that if you decide to color your hair while pregnant, wait until your second trimester, after the critical stages of your baby's organ development are complete. But if it was me, I'd wait a few weeks until after giving birth. :)

17. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

We do not really know what chemicals are present in hair color, the vegan hair color I was referring to is manic panic and they have an online store where you could make a purchase. Now, I still do not think that it would be okay to go get your hair dyed while pregnant but if you take the necessary precautions as outlined by OB GYN, then you should be alright.

18. When I was pregnant, I also thought of changing my looks, but that's because I want to feel good about myself. I think it's hormonal. When I told my OB about my plan she advised that it is not a great idea to do so while pregnant. Or if I would want to proceed, make sure I go to the hair salon first thing in the morning so the chemicals are not yet present in the salon.