1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Hospital Freebies after delivery

Discussion in 'General Postnatal Chat' started by LizB, Dec 13, 2016.

1. LizB

LizB Member

Hi! So I heard that there are some free items you can take home from the hospital after baby and you are discharged. Any tips on which ones I should expect or can ask for? With the cost of stuff these days, every little bit helps.

2. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

In the hospitals in our city, they have a standard kit that is ready to go. You can't really choose what you can get but here's what we got:

Diaper bag
    Pack of cotton pads
    Pack of wet wipes
    10 newborn diapers
    A small bottle of baby wash
    A small bottle of antibacterial wash for the mom's private parts
    A wrapping blanket
    A baby book
    Some mini booklets for breastfeeding, bottle feeding, and proper newborn care

3. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I think it depends on the hospital you will give birth. Like for @Honeylette it looks so many. I remembered when I gave birth to my eldest, we were given a thermometer, one pc. of small towel, small bottle of alcohol, about 5 pcs (1 pack) of newborn diapers and that's it.

4. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

I was given a thermometer, wipes, cotton balls, umbilical cord cleaner for baby, some diapers, and some coupons for baby products, all in one big reusable bag.

5. Summer

Summer Member

I love hospital bags. But maybe it really depends on the hospital but here's what we've got:

Diapers, thermometer, alcohol, wet wipes, baby book, blanket with the hospital's logo, newborn clothes with the hospital's logo, soap, top to toe wash, cotton balls, small nail cutter, toothbrush for me, cup with measurement for me and toothpaste.

6. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

What did we not get? It was enough for us not to go out and buy anything the first week.

We got: a basin for bathing, cotton, cotton buds, alcohol wipes, baby wipes, diapers enough for a week, thermometer, feeding cups for baby, cleaning solution for my CS wound, tegaderm, paddle cotton buds, free baby soap and shampoo, free moisturizing emollient, eye covers for when he needs to be taken out in the sun, a blanket with hospital logo, breastfeeding kit, breast pads and a lotnof brochures.

7. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Wow, that's a lot @Solange Diaz :D

8. Christie

Christie Active Member

I pretty much got the same items as @Solange Diaz did, and we didn't need to go out too during the first few weeks of my eldest because I have stuff left from the baby shower of my eldest :D

9. Princess

Princess Active Member

I guess some hospitals have more budget, while some have less. I have almost the same items like @MommyofTwo. I think they are part of what we pay for though, are they really freebies?

10. Summer

Summer Member

I don't think so @Princess I think they are really part of the "Miscellaneous fees" you pay in the hospital. So I guess it depends on the misc fee you pay on what you get on the kit. :)

11. LizB

LizB Member

Oh, this is a lot of goodies! Did you get all of them for free? I hope our hospital will be just as generous. :D

12. LizB

LizB Member

Yes, I think so too. But can you refuse to pay the miscellany? I think it's really part of the package. I guess what I can do is to ask for add'l if I can. :D

13. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

Well, technically, yes I got everything for free. My husband has a very good insurance coverage and we did not pay for a single cent for our son's delivery. We were so thankful. :D

14. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

I don't think they are free, even if you have insurance. The insurance pays for the hospitals, your husband's company pays for the insurance. :)

We got some diapers, thermometer, blankets, alcohol, bath essentials, I think I got some napkins too for me. Hahaha.

15. Peachkins

Peachkins Member

This sounds great. Is it part of his company benefits? I got a lot of stuff from the hospital, especially, diapers. I made fast friends with the nurses in the NICU and they added a bit more to my stash. It took us like 4 days before we opened the one we bought ourselves.

16. Princess

Princess Active Member

I see. Sometimes I think a hospital is a good business, since you make money off everything, literally! :p

17. Princess

Princess Active Member

Haha. I should remember doing this. Last time I was so weak and exhausted I barely got to talk with anyone, and before I knew it I am back home already.

18. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

But didn't your husband pay for his insurance too? Anyway it's great because at least you get to enjoy the benefits :)