1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

How much weight you should gain?

Discussion in 'General Pregnancy Chat' started by Love, Mar 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Love

Love Guest

The amount of weight you should gain during pregnancy depends on your body mass index (link is external) (BMI) before you became pregnant. The Institute of Medicine provides these guidelines:
    • If you were at a normal weight before pregnancy, you should gain about 25 to 30 pounds.
    • If you were underweight before pregnancy, you should gain between 28 and 40 pounds.
    • If you were overweight before pregnancy, you should gain between 15 and 25 pounds.
    • If you were obese before pregnancy, you should gain between 11 and 20 pounds.
    Check with your doctor to find out how much weight gain during pregnancy is healthy for you.

Source: https://www.womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/youre-pregnant-now-what/staying-healthy-and-safe

2. Charm

Charm Guest

Do you think when you gain such weight, you and your baby is healthy? What if I don't gain that weight? Should I worry?

3. Love

Love Guest

Yes, weight gain during pregnancy helps your baby grow. Gaining weight at a steady rate within recommended boundaries can also lower your chances of having hemorrhoids, varicose veins, stretch marks, backache, fatigue, indigestion, and shortness of breath during pregnancy. Also, having a healthy weight gained help mothers avoid pregnancy complications such as gestational, diabetes, preeclampsia and cesarean delivery. If a woman does not gain enough weight, there may be health problems for the mother and baby. Try not to worry if you’re slightly below these weights. I would say that you should talk to your doctor or health care provider because it is really important. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2017
  4. Charm

Charm Guest

Wow! I can see that there's a lot of benefit in gaining those weights. :) But how does gaining weight lower the chances of having a stretch mark? haha How does it work? :D

5. Love

Love Guest

@Charm, I think this is achieved by keeping skin well-hydrated and supple at all times. Also, eating mostly lean proteins, green vegetables, and fruits which helps ensure that you are getting the vitamins and minerals needed for healthy, flexible skin. I believed it lower the chances because the key to healthy pregnancy weight gain is eating a well-balanced pregnancy diet. You can reduce your chances of getting stretch marks by maintaining your weight level and taking good care of your skin. I hope this answers your questions! ;)

6. Charm

Charm Guest

7. RoNa

RoNa Administrator

Before pregnancy I was at 50kg. While pregnant I gained 25kg. That made me weighed 75kg during pregnancy. Was that the reason why I had pre-eclampsia? I ate a lot. 3 - 4 cups of rice a day.

8. Love

Love Guest

@RoNa :) It could be possible! But there are other causes of pre-eclampsia.

9. RoNa

RoNa Administrator

Yes, there are lots of things that causes pre-eclampsia. Next time, I will control what I eat. :) How young is your baby? @Love

10. Elizabeth Scott

Elizabeth Scott New Member

I have also read that gaining weight during pregnancy is a sign that your baby is growing healthy.