1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

How to deal with menopausal mother-in-law

Discussion in 'Empty Nest' started by Princess, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Princess

Princess Active Member

How do you deal with your mother-in-law when she's menopausal? She's been very moody and sometimes taking it out on the children, yelling and getting pissed off easily.

2. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

Well, it's the hormone changes that's affecting her mood, just like how we are when we are on the bad parts of our cycle haha. Just be patient, and try to talk to her about it when she is in a good mood.

3. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

We know hormonal imbalance could turn us ladies into some sort of a different person. I agree talking to her when she is in a good mood is a good idea. But I think, expose the children less of those moods as much as you could, they might not easily understand those things.

4. Christie

Christie Active Member

Yeah, or worse, they might copy the behavior and it will be hard to explain why it is not a good thing to follow..

5. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Haha, I remember my husband complaining that I was angry all the time, so I went and saw a doctor.
    He gave me estrogen pills. Turns out, my body is very low on estrogen so my mood is out of whack lol.

6. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

I think this is the same with us men dealing with our fathers-in-law. Seems like the older they get, the more they try to bring you down hahaha!
    Kidding aside, try to find common ground. It can help ;)

7. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I agree with @MrHandy to find something, an interest or hobby that you both have in common. It can help ease her mood.

8. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

How are things going with your mother-in-law, @Princess? I hope they got better..

9. Two Words, 12 Letters.
    CHAMOMILE TEA, people. that ought to get the ball rolling for some in-law bonding time!

10. LizB

LizB Member

I would probably, in all honesty, not bring the children around as much. I would rather not have the negative energy around my kids.

11. Sorry, but I laughed about this menopausal stage. I can imagine their mood hahaha. What else can we do? This is a phase we (moms) will eventually go through so I agree with exposing the kids less so they don't add up to the stress and boiling point of the mother in law. I am not sure though how long will this last because it's hard to see if they in good mood now and then the next thing you know they're throwing all the plates. haha.