1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Immediate Skin to Skin Contact

Discussion in 'General Postnatal Chat' started by Honeylette, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

The World Health Organization has been promoting the benefits of skin to skin contact immediately after birth. They are advocating a more natural approach to childbirth where the baby is wiped down and immediately placed belly-down on the mother's chest right after being born.

They say this fosters good bond between mom and child, and that it helps keep the baby warm as well as feel safe and secure. I hope this catches on, I have seen videos of this and it is incredible.

2. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Yes, this is true. This also promotes more milk for the mom to produce if I'm not mistaken. The hospitals in our area also promotes that. I had experienced that with my second child, he was never separated from me even if I had undergone C Section. He was placed on top of me and it really feels warm and the baby didn't cry and just slept.

3. I've seen lovely videos of those, it was incredible, you see miracles from them. I love how they are promoting that to all hospitals becauase it really promotes bond for mom and baby, keeping the baby warm since they are out in a world, they will have to adjust to the new environment and the warmth of their mom's body will assure them that they are in a safe place. Very nice for WHO to do that, they should have done that a long time ago.

4. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

I hope so too. Skin contact has a ton of benefits, both for the mom and the baby. It even prevents post partum depression. It boosts the baby's mental development and makes breastfeeding easier. Babies would also feel secure, and later in life they would always feel this special attachment to their parents. I really hope it would be practiced everywhere.

5. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I got to experience this myself and it was the most glorious thing! That first contact helped me center myself and rrally come into terms with my new role as a mom. :)

6. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I cannot imagine it was ever deemed ok not to have mother and child have immediate skin to skin contact. What else could be more important in those first few seconds of life? (barring medical emergencies)

7. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I know, right? It is the most important thing to do the very second the child is born. Being separated in the womb of your mom is really stressful so immediate skin to skin is a must.

8. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Yeah exactly. Both the mom and the baby are under a lot of stress during those moments. Immediate skin to skin contact would calm them both down. I remember the first time I gave birth, it felt so soothing to have my baby close to me. All the pain I felt suddenly went away.

9. Princess

Princess Active Member

@Dilly's Mom, I heard that many hospitals don't do this before, they just take the baby, suction secretions, clean them up, and have the mom rest while they keep the baby in the nursery for a few hours before taking the child to the mother's room.

It's nice that this practice is being more recognized :)

10. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I would love to do this! I didn't know that this is being done. I haven't seen any videos about it but I'll look for it later. :D

11. Christie

Christie Active Member

That's what I observed too. Skin to skin contact should be promoted and encouraged even more in hospitals and birthing clinics. It is proven to be very essential for newborns.

12. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I'm glad we gave birth in an era that promotes this now. :) Really, times have changed and they will keep on changing :)

13. Christie

Christie Active Member

It's good that the health organizations now started to recognize the traditional way of chikdbirth is observed.

This has been done in many cultures before nodernization took place, and I am glad that they decided to bring it back into the scene.

14. Princess

Princess Active Member

I asked my friend who is a nurse and she said that there are still some mothers who doesn't like this to happen. I asked why, and she said that from her experience, the moms want the baby to be bathed and cleaned up and her body to be cleaned first as well before they get in contact. It's weird but I guess it still happens.

15. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Ohh.. I couldn't even imagine how a mom wouldn't want to immediately hug and hold her baby after childbirth, because when I did, that's the first thing I wanted more than ever. But I guess to each her own :)

16. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I think the point of no skin contact with babies started during the war, you know, there are chambers for babies because there are plagues and sickness all over. It's great that they finally overturned that rule already with hospitals. Skin to skin contact is very important for babies, because they have been through a lot of stress due to the pregnancy and they would need to feel and hear something familiar, their mom.

17. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Wow, this is good to know :) I didn't know about it, but it does make sense that spreading sickness that time must be contained.

18. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

But the moms are generally screened for any communicable or contagious diseases before she even gives birth, so if there is a need not to do skin to skin contact or there is a need for immediate washing, then it would be done. Generally though, if there is no risk, skin to skin is still best practice.

19. I agree. I see in some videos that they wash the baby first before putting them into the mom's breasts for warm comfort, but it is not "immediate" but still followed the skin to skin practice.

20. I think @iamevallain is pertaining to the time when even the doctors do not wash their hands when performing any medical activities, there was a person who did the research that doctors need to wash their hands before handling patients because a lot of people have been dying in the table. Believe it or not, there is a dark age to what we now enjoy as medical practice. We are very lucky indeed.