1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Incontinence

Discussion in '2nd Trimester' started by Alex Santiago, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

I'm a mother of two, right now I'm pregnant with my third. I'm 16 weeks and there are times when I laugh or sneeze I feel like there's a spurt of urine that comes out which I can't control. This has never happened with my previous two pregnancies. Is this actually normal? It's starting to bother me.

2. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I think that's normal. :D I experienced that when I was pregnant too. Maybe it's because of the pressure from your baby and the urine thing (sorry forgot the right term). So I guess it's normal.

Alex Santiago likes this.
  3. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

This usually happens to pregnant women further into pregnancy, but sometimes it can happen at 16 weeks when the bladder is being pressed upon by the growing baby inside the uterus. When you sneeze, your abdominal muscles contract and the bladder is slightly squeezed as well.

4. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

It's perfectly normal because of the increased abdominal pressure when you laugh, sneeze or cough. I would advise you to use thick pantiliners or those very thin pads to help with those uncontrollable spurts, but make sure to change them often to avoid urinary tract infection or rashes.

Alex Santiago likes this.
  5. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

It's true what they say, could be the additional pressure from the baby inside you. Is it something that could be caused by the position of the growing fetus?

6. Oh my! What an ordeal! I understand what you're going through I just hope you don't get to have any cough or colds after giving birth, THAT is very painful, whether normal or CS.

I believe there are situations like those, but it shouldn't be so often (I hope not). You could try asking your doctor as well regarding that, but it shouldn't really be a problem. As people here have mentioned, just make sure you change your liners frequently as pregnant women have higher chances of getting urinary tract infection.

7. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I went through the same thing. And the bad news is that it didn't end after delivery. For a while after my son was born, it still happened. And though it doesnt happen as often now, it's still more than it did before pregnancy.

8. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I feel you Mommy. Went through the same thing here and the reason why I had to wear pads 3months before delivery and 2 months after. It will pass.

9. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Thank you for your answers everyone! I feel relieved now, though kinda scared it might still happen after I actually give birth. Nevertheless I'm glad to know it's common

10. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

I really hope it will eventually stop. It's kinda disturbing, I have to change my underwear more often, but I'll try using liners from now on. Thanks!

11. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Oh my goodness! What did you do? Have you consulted your OB about it?

12. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Could it be a bladder problem already? I guess it would be safe to at least consult a urologist just to be sure if it's happening a little too often.

13. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

I don't know either. I haven't felt the need to consult a urologist just yet, but maybe I will if it does happen more often (I really hope it won't). But I do regularly visit my OB. Thanks for the tip! :)

14. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

Have you consulted your OB about it? I wonder why it happened. I haven't experienced it before. Did they insert a urinary catheter when you were in labor?

15. Do you still experience it until now or has it somehow ceased or lowered in frequency?

16. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

I still experience it until now, but thankfully it has somehow lowered in frequency. I didn't take anything or did anything. My OB didn't seem worried about it too.

17. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

That's a good thing. I am very happy to hear that you are feeling much better now. :)

18. Great to know that you are feeling a little better, probably the position of the baby. Or just your bladder adjusting.