1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Labor pain management

Discussion in 'Labor and Birth' started by Princess, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Princess

Princess Active Member

I'm curious about what pain relief you are considering when going through labor. The older women I know liked epidurals but the younger ladies frown at it.
    Hubby says that people who have their teeth removed are getting anesthesia so moms should have the best during labour. What do you think moms?

2. Christie

Christie Active Member

I had epidural anesthesia and never had any problems with it. Going through labor was okay, no pain and just pushing when you get the epidural. Butbetter ask your doc what anesthesia options you have so you can choose.

3. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I previously had epidural pain control when I was in labor. It didn't do me any harm, but I heard from a relative of a mom in the hospital that when she had epidural, her left shoulder was half-paralyzed for 3 weeks after birth :(

4. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

What are the options in this category? I have only heard of epidural so far, but for ladies who are considering natural birth what are there for them?

5. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

6. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

My doctor gave me the mix of spinal and epidural. I personally don't know the difference, but I went for this because my doctor said that pain relief is faster and extended with this option.

7. Princess

Princess Active Member

I guess OB knows best, @Leiah.

8. Princess

Princess Active Member

That's horrible. Was it really because of the anesthesia?

9. Christie

Christie Active Member

10. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

I heard about similar stories too. They had epidural or spinal anesthesia and they got body weakness for a few weeks. I don't think it's temporary, but add that on top of being in labor and giving birth, it's got to be awful :(

11. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

It's true @Honeylette, being in labor pain is harsh enough already. But only a few moms experience these adverse effects, while many didn't. It just depends on who you trust your life to.

12. Christie

Christie Active Member

Now that I think about it, in a few months I will have to decide about what pain control I should use. Has anybody here gone into labor without pain control?

13. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Do you really have the authority to decide on which anesthetics your doctor should use on you? I mean, I might not exactly be keen on knowing this in the first place so long as everything goes well.

14. I am not sure about pushing the type of anesthetics down your doctor's throat but it sure would help your OB figure what you could be ready for. It would also help if you could be tested for it earlier so complications could be avoided. I just didn't know such an option exist so I just went with whatever the doctor gave me. I didn't have a spinal anesthesia until my 3rd child and I am fine with how everything went.