1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Meaning of your Baby's name

Discussion in 'Baby Names' started by Dilly's Mom, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I love studying name histories and when I chose my son's name, I made sure it's not because it only sounded nice but also because it means something impt. His name is Dylan, which is oroginally Welsh/Gaelic and means "of the sea". I chose it because we are of Irish descent and we currently live near the sea.

How about yours?

2. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

My son's name is Lorenzo and he is named after one of the numerous saints of the Catholic church. I believe it is spanish for "from the laurel trees" :)

Dilly's Mom likes this.
  3. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

My eldest's name is Yosef - and I searched about it and it meant "God shall add". My husband chose it and I never really got to ask why. Maybe I should ask later.

Dilly's Mom likes this.
  4. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

My daughter's name is Amber which means precious jewel. My son's name is David which means beloved.

I chose Amber for my daughter because she was our first child and I just love the name. I actually got it from a color of a stone. David was given by my husband. He had so many names he like but one day, after we went to church and heard the preaching about the great men in the Bible, he whispered to me that he wanted David for our son's name, and so we did.

Dilly's Mom likes this.
  5. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I love the name David too. I wanted to name my son David, but amongst our circle of friends it was already common. I wish it weren't so, but oh well. :(

6. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I love the name Noah, however I learned my classmate's son is also named Noah, around the same time as my due date. So I agreed with David.

7. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

If I had a girl, I would have named her Sophie. I just love how soft it sounds and at the same time it means Wisdom. Maybe next time :)

8. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

If I have a child his/her name will be Ira, the second one would probably be Io. I just like the idea of having short names, Io is a Greek goddess, and Ira, I am not sure but it sounds so awesome.

9. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I like short names too. I just don't like giving two names and end up giving a different nickname on the child. You get my point? My friend named his son Pete Marcus Gioseth, and they call him Gio. :p

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone who fancy long names, but I just don't get the point.

10. Well to each his own. I figure that kid will have a hard time in nursery, having to learn how to write his awfully long name. I hope he doesn't end up in detention when he would need to write a phrase with his name in every line.

11. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

My team lead named his kid Euclid Lester John. The name sounds nice, it's just difficult to write such a long name, especially in kindergarten! I understand what you are saying @rogerscarla171 :D

12. LizB

LizB Member

If I turn out to have a girl, I want to name her Ava, which means morning. I just like the idea of a girl named after something as fresh as morning dew. If a boy, perhaps Oscar after my Dad.