1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Morning Sickness :(

Discussion in '1st Trimester' started by Christie, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Christie

Christie Active Member

Just 9 weeks into my pregnancy here guys.
    It's awesome.
    I've waited for so long to be pregnant, and hubby has never been happier in my opinion.:p

I have a problem though, just last week I started being easily nauseated with so many things. Even the stuff and smells I loved or liked before can trigger an almost-throwing up session. It's especially nasty when I throw up, I just want to sit and cry all day!:(

Any tips on how to cope with this?:confused:
  2. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Hugs to you Christie!

I believe that is a normal phase for first trimester. I remember when I was on my first trimester with my first child, I vomit all I eat even the food I crave for. I think it's with the hormones, so you have to be very patient (same goes with your hubby) with the pregnancy blues. I also remember, crying is one of those normal pregnancy blues you will encounter. So what I can suggest is, stay away from food or things you don't like, smell you hate (for now) and maybe do something you like. Say, you like the smell of lemons in your kitchen, then buy some lemons and spread them all at your kitchen counter, or maybe put some near your bed to help you stay calm.

You have to move, move, move and focus on the things you like. Exercise is one good hobby you can do to refrain you from thinking about nausea, vomiting and crying. Ask help from your husband and your friends too, they might have brilliant ideas too. Good luck on your first trimester and I hope everything goes well! :)
  3. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I took ginger tea or ginger ale with my meals before. It helped me a lot. :D I totally understand though. One thing that happened to me was smell I liked before being pregnant suddenly made me nauseated too, but then, smells I abhorred before were suddenly appealing to me as well. I mean, anchovies. And anything that so sour your tongue turns green just by smelling it. :D The weirdness of the first tri :D
  4. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

One thing I did was spray Lavender mist all over the room (I made sure it's organic so I am not inhaling chemicals for my baby). It pretty much masked all the unwanted smells I hated while pregnant. But the other posters are right. Not much we can do but avoid the stuff that makes us sick, and if possible, impose a ban on hubby about bringing the stuff in the house. hahaha
  5. Princess

Princess Active Member

I always have a thing for sour stuff when I'm pregnant. Talk about sour candies, eating lemons like candy, key lime pies, tamarind balls, and green mango shakes.

They help a lot with keeping me calm and not throwing up the stuff I eat. Find out what you like and don't like, and work around that
  6. I loathed garlic every time I get pregnant (thrice!). What I would do is gather all the stuff I enjoy while pregnant, from minty fresh bathroom scents to strawberries and I make sure to surround myself with them when I have to be exposed with garlic and it does the trick :D
    Dilly's Mom likes this.
  7. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Does it really get so bad that you need complete bed rest just because of morning sickness? I have read somewhere that dark chocolate and potatoes could do wonders, how true is that?
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  8. Christie

Christie Active Member

Thanks! :)

I haven't gone around to exercising much, but now that you mention it, I'm going to use it as a diversion and hopefully it will distractme from being nauseated. there are times when it really gets bad.

I would like to try ginger ale, but the ones sold here are carbonated, and makes me feel too bloated. Maybe I'd give ginger tea a try.
    Thanks! :D

One of my friends is just like that - she craves everything sour! :confused:

Time to gather them all up then ;)
    No, not really. It sometimes just gets so bad that I keep throwing up every 15 minutes or so. :eek:
  9. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Yikes! That's not something I would look forward to when I finally get the chance to be pregnant. How could you get proper nourishment if you throw up a lot? Awww. I hope you feel better soon, there's so much stuff you could enjoy without that.
  10. Let's hope it will all be over soon. My morning sickness lasts only until the 3rd month of my pregnancy, from there absolute bliss until the big day comes and out comes the little tyke and the sleepless nights commence. Oh! what a ride! Sometimes I wonder why we want these things to happen, and seeing the smiles of my kids make it all worth it.
  11. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

When you are on that stage, you feel like it's forever. :p but it gets better as days go by, mainly because you get used to the vomiting and nausea. So it is really better to divert our attention to other things like doing the stuff we like. Every pregnancy is different and as much as we don't like to, we have to embrace that this is part of pregnancy. :)
  12. I had so much vomiting experience with my youngest. I vomit everything I eat that sometimes I don't want to eat. It's one of the worst experience plus the headache, I want to lie down all day. It went on for the first trimester of my pregnancy.
  13. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

I used to have this balm from a Chinese friend, somewhat like tiger balm. It's a white block of crystal in a container similar to lipstick, but in white. (I hope I'm making sense here :p )

It smells like mild menthol mixed with a flowery scent that calms me down when I feel nauseaus.
  14. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Tiger balm is interesting, I think Chinese medicines in general. I have yet to see that though, I do have a therapeutic oil which smells like peppermint. I am not sure to what degree it could affect me, if I ever encounter those situations.
  15. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I agree with menthol balm. It gives soothing relief if you are vomiting and nauseaus. Maybe you can bring it anywhere you go so if you're feeling a little dizzy you can smell the balm for relief.
  16. luckylu

luckylu New Member

I suffered from nausea all day long for the first trimester with both of my pregnancies. I found that as long as I didn't let myself get to hungry or go too long in between meals it was better. Saltine crackers were my best friend during this time.
    Dilly's Mom likes this.
  17. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

I remember my OB telling me that ice chips are a good way to combat morning sickness. I would make some natural lemonade or squeeze fresh fruit juice and freeze them in ice cube trays.
    Whenever I feel my stomach turning, I would pop one in my mouth and let it melt slowly :)
    Dilly's Mom likes this.
  18. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Yes try crackers, they helps in your vomiting problem too. Don't let yourself starve too. Eat in between meals even crackers. Salty crackers are my favorite.
  19. Flavored ice cubes is a great idea! I love the smell of fresh lemonade, it removes my headache and my nausea. I will try that when I am sickly, even if I'm not pregnant. It seems to delicious just imagingin the lemons. Aaahhh fresh lemons are the best.
  20. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I wish i learned this earlier. Sounds like a great idea!