1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Natural Antiperspirant/Deodorant

Discussion in '1st Trimester' started by HappyMum, Nov 15, 2016.

1. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Are the commercial deodorants and antiperspirants safe to use for pregnant women? The older women kept telling me that using those while I am pregnant will make my armpits dark.

Is this true? And should I switch to natural or organic ones?

2. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

I didn't have any problems with Lady SpeedStick, but it did make my underarms dry when I used it during pregnancy. I was just lazy to look for a new brand to try then. Organic and natural sounds even better, but I don't know if they work well.

3. Princess

Princess Active Member

They say that too much dryness and friction on the underarms can make the skin darker. I'm not really sure about it because I use natural Alum deodorant. It was introduced to me by my Filipina friend and I have been using it ever since.

4. Christie

Christie Active Member

If they have harsh chemicals on them then they can build up on your skin with continued use and cause darkening from irritation. And worst part is, you won't even notice it happening. :(

5. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

My armpits didn't turn dark, but I was using Dove antiperspirant with whitening properties so maybe that's why. Just read the labels when you go buy next time and choose those that whiten the underarms :)

6. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I switched to Tom's organic when I was pregnant and I liked it so much I kept using it even after.

Peachkins likes this.
  7. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Will there be any problems with normal deodorants? Like if you just want peace and opt to stick to your normal deodorants?

Have you guys considered not using any?

8. With the weird climate, I think everyone needs them. I guess it's safe and okay to stick with the brand you are using even when you were not pregnant since you already tested the product.

9. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I agree, climate. If it gets too hot, then you're probably going to send someone dizzy if you don't put on some deodorant :D I think the safest would be the alum because it's natural and doesn't have any chemicals (at least that I know of).

10. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Hahaha! I laugh at this @iamevallain. The weather we have is so weird, sometimes it's very hot and then very cold at night. Better use deodorant or antiperspirant for protection as well.

11. Protection for other people huh? Just kidding! But yes I agree with all of you. Although I did not actually change my deodorant when I was pregnant with any of my 3 kids. I think it would just be best for us to stick to our normal routines when pregnant as our bodies are accustomed to it already.

12. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I realized that I perspired more when I was pregnant maybe because of the hormones? Because even if it's warm and even during cold days, I remember perspiring when I was pregnant.

13. Yeah. probably the reason behind it. The baby is taking up most of our nutrients as well, burning it. Our body is made to nurse and make sure that appropriate heat is supplied to our babies. Maybe that's part of it.

14. LizB

LizB Member

I use organic deodorant anyway. I do not use antiperspirant because of a cancer scare I read somewhere. And they tend to darken underarms too because of harshness.

15. Peachkins

Peachkins Member

I use Tom's Organic too. I like the whole line. It's really quite effective. Some organic brands still make me have BO, but Tom's was swell :D

16. Summer

Summer Member

I also use organic deodorant. I feel safer when using them. Recently my armpit had a very foul smell and I think it has something to do with the previous one I was using. It became so red and itchy. I will stick with the organic from now on.

17. I know the switch to organic products is great but I still believe that it could be a little difficult to figure out which one would work for you. I would like to stay with the alum just in case, the rock types work great and are easy to keep.