1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Nephew wants to go vegan

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Honeylette, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

My nephew just turned 14 years old, and wants to go vegan. I'm not against being vegan, but I think a boy in his developing years needs the complete food group to ensure best development for his body. What do you think?

2. Princess

Princess Active Member

There are lots of ways vegans get by and they still get the nutrients needed by the body to grow and develop well. Just tell his parents to monitor their child's diet to ensure he gets everything, especially protein. :)

3. Christie

Christie Active Member

Maybe this is just a phase. Most kids would try anything. Why not let him try but of course have his parents guide him, or you go and give the guidance. If it diesn't work out for him well, you can tell him that at least he tried it.

4. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

Why not? Starting to apply healthy eating habits for the young ones is never too early :D It may be that he wants to adopt the healthier lifestyle :)

5. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Maybe he knows someone who is a vegan that's why he wants to try it for himself. For me, I will let him do it for experimental purposes and then will ask him afterwards if he wants to continue, but I will ask him first why he thought of becoming a vegan and who influenced him.

6. Vegan is great! there's nothing wrong with it. you can obtain the same amount of nutrients even without the meat. :)

7. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

I agree with @MommyofTwo and @JennyCannes. Vegans have their own ways of ensuring they are balanced with the nutrients, and they are most of the time healthier than most people, so why not :p

8. Living vegan really is great! But, In my honest opinion, there's just no substitute to a good burger! lol.

9. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Make that a cheeseburger and count me in! Lol. I can't imagine giving up meat..

10. yes! even if they've made those veggie-meat substitutes, it's taste really isn't the same. and you can't make a vegan rack of ribs, or a vegan t-bone steak, right? lol this is getting me hungry... :D :D :D

11. Rrrobert

Rrrobert Member

I can relate to this! our family loves going for weekend grill outs. Im really sorry to vegans out there, I have nothing against you guys, but dang. you're missing half of your lives! lol

12. Summer

Summer Member

Nice idea for the kid! I think it would be good if we let them explore and just enjoy the food he is eating. In case he changes his mind, he can always switch back to meat. :)

13. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

One of my boys asked about this - beibg a Vegan, because one of his classmate's family is Vegan. He said he thinks it's cool. Haha. I asked him if he's willing to give up the meat, he said no. Hahaha