1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

no room for nursery :(

Discussion in 'General Postnatal Chat' started by Leiah, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

So we have a fairly small apartment and barely have room to build a nursery. We are planning on having the baby with us at the same room, but I feel guilty and jealous sometimes when I hear or read about people decorating and setting up their nursery.

We plan to move out once the baby is bigger. Any thoughts on having the baby with you in the same room? Should we move out early instead?

2. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

We cosleep so we sleep in one bed, one room. Ever since I had kids, we cosleep. We don't mind. I just don't want to let my small kids sleep alone.

Solange Diaz and Leiah like this.
  3. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

When they were still babies, my daughters' cribs were inside our room. Now, they share a room. But most of the time they sleep with us, so their room isn't really that useful haha. It's much nicer if your kids sleep with you in the same room. When they grow up, they're not gonna wanna do that anymore, so I want to cherish this moment when they actually do.

Leiah likes this.
  4. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I agree with cherish the moments while they're young. I guess it's part of our culture here in my place that whether the baby is sleeping in your bed or in a crib, they are with you in the same bedroom. It is such a wonderful experience and memories to cherish as well if you do it.

Leiah likes this.
  5. Don't feel guilty or jealous. What is important is you will be taking care of your baby the best way you know how. It's okay if she doesn't have her own nursery room, you'll have time to build them when the baby is toddler, so for now, you can try to relax and sleep with them.

Leiah likes this.
  6. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

I'm afraid about cosleeping since both my husband and I tend to move A LOT during our sleep haha :p

I guess you're right! I didn't want to sleep in my parents' room when I started primary school :D :D

7. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

I'll keep that in mind! Besides, we don't have the budget for it right now either haha so I'll have to wait :p

8. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Oh, my husband is like that when sleeping, good thing I am not like him when sleeping. What you can do is put the crib beside your bed, lock the crib, so you can still take care of the baby when she cries in the middle of the night. I believe there are cute cosleeping bed for babies, try to check them maybe you will be interested in them.

9. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

We bought a co-sleeper which attaches to our bed and it worked well up to the 7th month. Then he started to move a lot and we decided to use his crib, but still in our room. Honestly, a nursery looks nice. But waking up in the middle of the night only to journey to the next room for a midnight feeding, being anxious if baby is ok alone, all of that i'd rather not deal with. I grew up in a co-sleeping arrangement until I was 5 years old and I'm utterly capable of being independent. I read some of those theories about the bad effects of co-sleeping and find it laughable. :)

10. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

We don't have a nursery either! We just simply don't have space. We co-sleep in the same bed, and had the same fears of squishing baby in our sleep. So what we did is we bought a wicker bassinet we placed on the bed beside me. It worked! After 5 months, we felt more confident that baby will be fine and we removed the bassinet and just placed one of those bed side frames to make sure baby doesnt fall off.

11. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I think having your kid sleep with you and not being at risk of SIDS because you would be able to attend to them. You do not need the kind of nursery where the baby don't get to develop a relationship with you.

12. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

I remember during my first baby that I was worried sick and kept going back and forth throughout the night checking up on him (none of those fancy baby monitors existed then) to a point where my husband finally agreed to have the crib in our room. The very cute and specially made nursery was useless during the night! Haha.

But it was useful for the days when I had to get back to work after maternity leave, and we wouldn't want the nanny or anyone else into the master's bedroom.

13. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

This is one of the pros of getting a nursery, for real. I experienced this. The nanny of my child sleeps in our bedroom during the night - I work graveyard then, and my husband sleeps in another room. Our room was a room for all at that time. Maybe, it depends on the situation, but if you are a work from home mom or you stay at home, you can skip the nursery.

14. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

Like @HappyMum, we had the same setup. The nursery was mostly for the daytime nanny because we couldn't have other people just go in and out of our master's bedroom, that's where we have some of our valuables..

15. I had a nursery and my mom lives with us, I am still working and whenever I am on the graveyard shift she sleeps with my child in the nursery. I think if you don't have a room for a nursery it's fine. If you have one, make it a children's room and not set it up specifically for babies because they grow up real fast and pretty soon you need a real bed in there.

16. Good for you, someone can take care of your child when you work.

I agree with you that if you have an extra room, make it a "child" room because they really grow up so fast, you'll realized you'll have to redecorate the room again. :)

17. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

That's something that is debatable, depends on the capability of the parents, you know. Most people would love for their kids to have their own nursery before transitioning to a kid's room.

18. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Yes, since most kids who are used to sleeping with their parents have difficulty sleeping on their own for quite some time :)

19. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

We had a nursery for daytime hours when the nanny comes over to look after the kids. That way, they establish the room as theirs but still get the chance to sleep with us through the night and someday make it easier for the transition.

20. If you have enough room for the nursery then there's no problem, but if there's none, then you should just improvise. :) It's all in the mindset on how you manage them when they are sleeping with you on the same room.