1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Padded cribs and bassinets

Discussion in 'General Postnatal Chat' started by JennyCannes, Dec 12, 2016.

1. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

My husband and I were thinking of omitting the use of infant pillows and bolsters and those cute fluffy crib toys to make it as near to zero risk for SIDS to even happen. Instead, we're thinking of putting firmly attached padding to the sides of the crib/bassinet. Is it worth the trouble?

2. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I think it's safest. My mom-in-law's first gift to baby was a pillow set, and she asked a couple of times why we do not use it. I had to explain SIDS to her a number of time. She ketp saying in her time, those were not issues at all. I know that SIDS risk is low, but I wouldnt and didnt take any chances. Whatever you think is safest for your baby, go for it!

3. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

One of the few things I saw that kept being emphasized in SIDS-related discussions were to avoid the use of pillows in baby's crib. Since we co-sleep, it would be hard not to have any pillows on our bed for us adults. What we did was buy a bassinet. It was essentially a wicker basket that had a cloth covering so it would not hurt baby's skin if rubbed on. But we removed all pillows until he was about 3 months old, and then we started using those anti-flat head pillow, but just the one.

4. I think it is a good idea to just have your crib padded. It will save you a lot of things other than not having a pillow that might suffocate your baby. Would also be great if you could use a sort of covering that's not prone to absorbing leaks, similar to a leatherette cover for beds. I am not sure what material that could be, but could be useful in case of diaper leaks, easy cleaning :D

5. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Yeah, those waterproof baby matress covers look like a mix of vinyl, leather, or plastic cloth. But they are hoton skin so I still put cloth covers on them. I just use them to protect the foam and mattress:)

6. LizB

LizB Member

Yeah, I am considering a padded crib too for when the time comes. I just feel it is the best option to avoid bumps and scrapes but at the same time lessens SIDS risk.

7. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

I think padded cribs are way better than the usual pillows and bolsters. Avoid those big blankets too as they tend to cover the babies especially if they are sleeping crazily.

8. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Oh yes @Amber Lee I almost forgot about the big blankets. I love those nice fluffy ones but maybe when the babies are older :)

9. Summer

Summer Member

Wow, good thing we don't have a crib. I wanted to co-sleep even before I was pregnant. I also think the crib will outgrown the baby anyway so I didn't bother to buy one for my daughter.

10. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

Yes, this is definitely a must. Blankets, especially the fluffy ones are heavy for newborns to move so it is very important they are far from these blankets.

11. Christie

Christie Active Member

Oh, I got a lot of those cute fluffy blankets as gifts. Thanks for the reminder :)

12. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

I think you can still use them, just be cautious and make sure that they don't get the blanket on their face as it may block their breathing. You can use them as their beddings for the mean time. :)

13. Looks like those padded cribs are safer than those with pillows and bolster. I agree with the blankets, move them away from the babies to be careful and sure.

14. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

What about when it is a bit cold, if we don't put blankets on how will we keep my baby warm?

15. You can put on frogsuits on them to keep them warm. Or, you can still put blanket but be sure it's below the waist just enough to cover the lower part of the baby.

16. Princess

Princess Active Member

I swaddle or "mummify" my baby with a baby wrap to help keep warm during cold nights :)