1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Prenatal supplement for breastfeeding

Discussion in '3rd Trimester' started by Solange Diaz, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

Did any of you take prenatal vits to boost milk production? Which are safe for baby still inside?

2. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

I didn't, but I sure wish I had. They say that many moms took herbals for this, many swear by papaya and moringa supplements that are safe for the growing baby inside you.

Now I am having trouble with milk production. It's my 2nd week, and I have little to almost no milk, and I have to switch and supplement with formula milk so baby can feed :(

Princess and Solange Diaz like this.
  3. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

i took moringa supplements which my doctor approved. I took 2 capsules a day. I don't know if they worked though because I still had low supply after giving birth. But I ure took a lot after giving birth, including Mother's Milk tea and blessed thistle and fenugreek. That helped sustain what little I had, but none of it made me overflowing whatsoever. :(

4. luckylu

luckylu New Member

Taking a prenatal vitamin is recommended and important as you and your baby need the extra nutrients that most pregnant women don't get enough of from food alone. I used the Mother Select prenatal vitamins. I have not heard that prenatal vitamins help with milk production though. My LO is now 6 mos old and I exclusively breastfeed. I really like the Mothers Select lactation supplements too and have seen a boost in my production since using them. I started taking them after I had my baby because I was worried about my supply. You want to be cautious when taking herbs as some are not safe during pregnancy though. Always consult with your OBGN before taking anything to assure its safe while pregnant.

Princess and Dilly's Mom like this.
  5. Princess

Princess Active Member

I think the milk production starts by the third trimester of pregnancy, so you may want to take your moringa by then. I only take moringa tea, but I swear that they work pretty good. They say if you do start taking them by the third trimester, you will have a boost in milk supply by the time you deliver your child :)

Dilly's Mom likes this.
  6. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I have heard the same thing. but i guess consulting an ob is still best ☺

7. Solange Diaz

I have heard good things about moringa. And there's this brand Im thinking of trying called Motherlove. Will recommend to my pregnant friends

8. Solange Diaz

Than
    Thanks Princess. Its really a matter of getting all the help we can get, right? It's hard enough being a 24-hour canteen for your little one once born :) thanks

Princess likes this.
  9. Solange Diaz

Th
    I am so sorry to hear that. It happens and all we can do is give the next best thing. As long as baby is nourished and happy, its all good, i say. :)

10. Princess

Princess Active Member

Yes, definitely! Aside from providing milk, comfort, and care, you have other things to worry about like expenses, the household, and your husband or other family members. It's hard being a woman, and yet so rewarding too.

11. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Are lactation cookies effective for you? I tried them but didn't really like the taste. So I'll only take them if they really are effective..

12. You ladies are so lucky! I wasn't able to breastfeed my first two kids because I didn't have a lot of milk supply and by the time I'm ready they are already accustomed to formula :(

13. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I saw some shops selling lactation cookies. Has anyone tried it?

14. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

15. I did take moringa capsule on my last trimester and I think it helped with my milk production when I gave birth. Lactation coffee and choco drink is a very good booster for me. I tried lactation cookies several times but I don't notice the volume of milk but I still eat them because they're yummy. :)

16. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Maybe because the lactation cookies are not enough without the help of liquids? Moringa is very popular when it comes to lactation, I already saw how a moringa plant looks like and I don't get how it could help in lactation.