1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Probiotics

Discussion in '1st Trimester' started by Leiah, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Are probiotics safe to take during pregnancy? I used to take them when I had an infection, but a pregnant friend of mine wants to know if she can take them as well.

2. Princess

Princess Active Member

Yes they are safe. You actually need them because they promote good intestinal and vaginal flora and can help you ward off yeast infections.

3. Christie

Christie Active Member

When I had urinary tract infection in my previous pregnancy, I was on antibiotics and my doc gave me probiotics to keep yeast infection away as @Princess said. It is safe, and you can continue taking it :)

4. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

They are food supplements and won't really do any harm to your body. They are supposed to promote good digestion and boost the immune system :)

5. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Generally, prebiotics and probiotics are safe to take during pregnancy, unless you have an illness that affects your immune system. But aside from that, they're okay.

6. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I think those are essential for our day to day functions, we just don't realize it aS.the food we eat May contain them already. I guess it just becomes obvious when you have a huge pill right in front of you.

7. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

They are present in yogurt and those probiotic health drinks you can find at the supermarket. Walmart carries them and it says there that it helps promote a good immune system.

8. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I eat a lot of yogurt while I'm pregnant and they contain a lot of those good bacteria / probiotics. I feel good about myself so I bet those probiotic pills are good, if you are a fan of popping pills :p because I hate them haha

9. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

I eat a lot of yogurt. I love it. Even before I was pregnant. I don't think they have such crucial effects to our babies. But like they say, do everything in moderation, especially eating haha.

10. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

They can get expensive though, right? which ones do you use?

11. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I just drink probiotic milk nd lots of yogurt. Works well for me!

12. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

I love Müllerlight yogurt. Really creamy and tasty. They have this 12 pack thing. You could save a bit when you buy those.

13. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Yes, it promotes a healthy immune system, which is important to us especially when pregnant. The worst thing that could happen during pregnancy is that you incur a disease so you really need probiotics.

14. I have not heard anything about probiotics when I got pregnant with my kids. I guess my doctor didn't particularly zeroed in on this, but instead focused on calcium, iron and vitamin c. I guess if you eat nutritious foods while pregnant, you will be able to cover this part as well. I also love yogurt, especially greek yogurt. I think it's the healthiest one out there.

15. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Same here. My OB didn't really make a big deal out of probiotics. But ever since I was young I've always loved yogurt. That's why they're still a part of my "diet" until now. I also love drinking those probiotic drinks.

16. Maybe because at the time we are not lacking those kind of stuff? Or probably we don't need it as much. I am not exactly sure.

17. Love

Love Guest

Yes, probiotics are probably safe during pregnancy. They are living microorganisms, the majority of which are bacteria followed by yeast. They are similar to the naturally occurring microorganisms found in the intestines, or gut, of every person. They help reduce bad bacteria in the body, which can lower the potential of certain infections or other health concerns. Having a strong and healthy gut is important for both mom and baby.