1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Protein shakes for pregnant women

Discussion in '2nd Trimester' started by Leiah, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

I have this intense cravings for strawberry right now, and I couldn't stop thinking about my stock of protein shakes I bought before I became pregnant. Can I take them?

2. Princess

Princess Active Member

My OB said that as long as there is no artificial sweeteners or aspartame in it, I can drink it. Just not too much haha. I have chocolate and vanilla flavors here at the house.

3. Christie

Christie Active Member

Doc says it's safe, but just remember to limit your protein intake to under 71g protein per day. You can't have too much of it ;)

4. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Always read the ingredients list, and know what's good or bad for your body. I mix my chocolate protein shake with bananas and berries, and sometimes with yogurt :)

5. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

There is a risk involved in protein shakes, you have to make sure you know where the protein is derived from because you might be taking in more than the right amount. And remember most protein shakes add to your pounds so might as well stay away from it. You need natural proteins for your child.

6. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

Pregnant women need extra 25g of protein a day. Protein shakes are a good source of extra protein, but always read the label. There are protein shakes meant for athletes or bodybuilders. I've also read online that you should avoid those with harmful(for the baby) herbs like anise and ginger, since they could affect fetal hormones, as well as chamomile, licorice root, rosemary and sage. Also avoid those that use artifical sweeteners like saccharin.

Honeylette likes this.
  7. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Best to ask the OB which protein shakes are safe. Or you can take a photo of the ingredients list and show them to your doc, so you know which ingredients are bad for you.

8. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

There are regular protein powders, while there are those shakes made for those who are building up their muscles. You can find the regular ones at Whole Foods. But then again, if it's only strawberry you're craving for, just ask hubby to buy strawberries :p

9. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I definitely agree, if you are unsure with the type of protein shake you are going to have, then it's better to be safe than sorry. Your child's safety should be the top priority in this situation.

10. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I was super paranoid when I was pregnant, and a lot of people were telling me to drink this and that, and I absolutely refused without my OB's advice. On hindsight, it was really stressful for me, and maybe I did overreact. I would just study the ingredients better next time, and remember that moderation is key. :D

11. You definitely made a good decision. We really need to listen to the experts, my mom also has a lot of considerations when I was pregnant. She had a lot of advice crucial to my pregnancy, which is why I am very happy to have her around.