1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Swollen feet!

Discussion in '3rd Trimester' started by Honeylette, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

My ankles and toes are so swollen, and my legs are starting to get bigger too!
    I've been drinking a lot of water, because I somehow feel so thirsty all the time, but then again my legs and feet are so swollen that I don't know if I should stop drinking a lot of water.

2. Princess

Princess Active Member

Aww. Just lessen your water intake by just a little bit, as you really need the water, and try raising your legs. Is it hot in your area? Sometimes heat plays a factor in swelling too.

3. Christie

Christie Active Member

Elevate your legs and prop them on top of two to three pillow while lying down. It's a good habit to do every night before going to sleep, or whenever you wish to take a nap :)

4. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Yes, elevate your legs when you lie down, walk from time to time. Do you eat peanuts? I had an experience before, I ate brownies with nuts on top, after a few minutes, my feet started swelling. They said pregnant women must not eat peanuts because it promotes swollen feet. It happened to me, so I never ate them after that when I was pregnant.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  5. You should walk from time to time and elevate your legs when you sit or lie in bed. Walking can help lessen the swelling and ask your husband to massage your feet, gently so you can relax.

6. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I had the same experience with brazil nuts. At first I thought it was a coincidence but after a few days I ate brazil nuts again and my feet got really swollen.

7. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Maybe there's something in it that is not for pregnant women, right? It's better to stay away from eating them while pregnant just to be sure. :)

8. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I had that happen and my OB gave me something to lessen the swollenness which was safe for pregnancy. Made me pee more though, more than usual even for a pregnant woman. o

9. I think you need some exercise, because your body is retaining the water you are taking. You need to release it by perspiration or urination.

10. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

You shouldn't worry about it. Mild swelling of the ankles and feet caused by edema is harmless, and perfectly normal. :)

11. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

Mild swelling is ok. But a lot of swelling may be a sign of pre-eclampsia or a liver complication that some pregnant women get. Just mention it to your OB and i am sure she will help you get answers. :)

12. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Ask your OB and have your blood pressure taken as well. You may need diuretics (medications that make you pee a lot), or maybe a few more minutes of walking per day.

13. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

If it's mild swelling, just make sure you are moving around and have adequate rest periods with your feet raised. If it's getting worse or making you feel uncomfortable, then it's time to go visit your OB :)

14. Princess

Princess Active Member

Exercise is good and helps keep the blood flow better instead of just pooling at the legs and feet. Just make sure there are lots of rest periods too!

15. Christie

Christie Active Member

How are your feet now? Have you talked to your OB already?

16. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

I have my next appointment in two days, so I'll be sure to ask :)

17. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

I think so too. It's a bit hard to move around though with your babies following you everywhere and making a mess..

18. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

Are you doing any better now? I've begun having swelling as well but it goes away when I raised my legs on three pillows.

19. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

My swelling has reduced greatly. I started walking for 20 minutes every morning then raising my legs afterwards. It really helped with the swelling. :) Thanks for your concern :)

20. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

Massages should ease the pain of swollen feet, so let your hubby know that you need a foot massage. :)