1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Teen relationships?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by MrHandy, Jan 3, 2017.

1. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

Okay, so my wife and I are stressed out about our 13-year-old daughter, who seems to go against all odds to see this boy from school.

He seems okay, good grades, A-lister, sporty.

Thing is, my daddy instincts says no to early relationships. Wife says it's okay. What do you think?

2. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I do not really approve of early relationships because they can be very distracting and can lead to unwanted events.
    But maybe set really strict ground rules and get to know them both a bit more and see if you can allow it or not.

3. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

The boy seems to be good, but in my opinion, I don't want any more distractions at a young age. If he is serious about your daughter, maybe he can wait until they finish college.

4. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I always thought that the best teacher is experience. But as an adult, (or a parent for that matter,) we should guide them to the right path and right choices. :)

5. LizB

LizB Member

I think 13 is too young but I would rather my child be open to me than hide it from me. I think I would suggest that approach it as a decision point you would gladly let her make, with your guidance.

6. I think at this age, I can consider them puppy love, nothing too serious so I think it's okay but of course we should always guide them and make sure we know what they are doing especially after classes. It is never a sin to be protective especially if we have girls.

7. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

13? If that happens to my daughter, I will freak out. Gosh, I am not yet ready to deal with teen relationships like that especially for my daughter. I think it's too early.

8. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

I guess I am being overprotective, but it really is a bit early. :(

9. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

No one can blame you for being protective. 13 really is a young age, and we parents always are on the lookout for our kids.
    But I would advise not to restrict her too much, as teens are sensitive to being "chained" and might rebel even more.

10. Princess

Princess Active Member

I had my first boyfriend at the age of 14, and well.. He ended up being my husband and father to my kids.
    I was lucky my parents were good judges of character, my husband respected me and we both have separate lives to live that time. It's all about boundaries :)

11. Christie

Christie Active Member

It depends on your decision @MrHandy. You should talk to your wife about it and weigh the risks and the options. You know what's best for your child.

Awww, that's so sweet! :) I like how childhood sweethearts end up together. It's like a fairytale or something.

12. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Not really. You are a parent and it's normal especially at their age. Teens are different nowdays.

13. Joy

Joy Guest

It's better to have a serious talk to your daughter about this matter and be transparent on her about this issue. Make it clear to her that it's much better to focus first on her studies and career and make her understand that there will be a right person out there that will come at the proper time, just teach her to wait patiently. Note: Do not scold her but be gentle when you talk. Be a good listener- listen to her side and then go on with your fatherly advice.