1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Too Much Sugar in Breastmilk

Discussion in 'General Breastfeeding' started by Solange Diaz, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

Just wanted to share what I learned from our pedia. My son had been quite hyperactive for a while, more than usual. Enough for our pedia to recommend we see a developmental psychologist. That sent me into panic. But before we went, she told us to also try to stop breastfeeding when my sugar is high, because it is possible the excess sugar is making him climb the walls. (Unfortunately, that also meant I stopped bf because my sugar was flip flopping all over the place even with diet control and meds). 2 months later, my son is calmer and easier to handle.

My pedia concluded that it was my breastmilk after all. I didn't know high blood sugar could pass through breastmilk. I'm actually still not 100% convinced, but I am sharing just in case you know someone who can relate.

2. Seriously? Did you try asking for second opinion on that? I am not convinced too that it was from the breastmilk because breastmilk is the perfect milk for the baby. I wonder why the doctor said that. Did she elaborated and explained why? I mean, that it is possible for breastmilk for too much sugar?

3. Peachkins

Peachkins Member

I don't know if it can, Solange. All the research I read is that it is safe for diabetics to breastfeed, although there are some who mention that it may actually be an issue. I just thought it would make the babies fatter, faster.

4. Solange Diaz

I know, right? I researched about it and there is division about what the safe levels are. I was hitting 300s which is very very high so I decided to diet but also at the same time, minimize breastfeeding.

5. I think you need to seek second opinion, someone who is a breastfeeding advocate this time. I think something is not right with her explanation.

6. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

Why did the doctor tell you that? Maybe we can research so ee can understand where the doctor is coming from. But I just don't think breastmilk is too sweet when a mom is diabetic.

7. Princess

Princess Active Member

My sister's OB told her that breastmilk usually gets 25% of the blood sugar level the mom has during bresstfeeding, but even with high levels, you can still continue to breastfeed.

How? By taking insulin or any glucose-lowering medication your doc gave you. These drugs and the insulin cannot pass through breastmilk so you baby gets only the goodies :)

Christie and HappyMum like this.
  8. Amber Lee

Amber Lee Member

Oh there's the answer, thank you @Princess for sharing that. I am sure the doctor who told @Solange Diaz have some basis why she would advise her to discontinue breastfeeding. But I hope you can still continue breastfeeding especially if your milk is already stable.

9. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Also, diabetic moms are recommended to breastfeed since the continuous milk production when the baby consumes milk burns calories and energy, which stimulates the body to use up the blood sugar. So breastfeeding helps regulate your blood sugar too.

10. Christie

Christie Active Member

I agree with @HappyMum. There was one time that I was breastfeeding and I got lazy to eat (I was very tired and sleepy) that I ate only a little. I felt very dizzy and my husband brought me to the ER, and the OB resident doctor told me that breastfeeding moms need to eat additional food because milk production consumes a lot of energy

11. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Yes, it consumes a lot of energy and it can starve moms overnight. I am always hungry after feeding and I feel dehydrated in the morning if I am lazy to drink water in between feeding.

With that being said, then why did the doctor advise to discontinue breastfeeding? What could be the basis?

12. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

It is hard to say because I was told by my dr that sugar passes on to breastmilk so there might be a point there. How high are your highs?

13. Summer

Summer Member

My parents are both diabetic, how many percent is my chance getting that too? I am starting to wonder because I might be diabetic too and I am breastfeeding my baby.

14. Solange Diaz

Well, lifestyle plays a factor too. So if you are following good diet, staying away from too much sugar and carbs, you have greater chance of not getting diabetes. However your risk of acquiring it is significantly greater tha non hereditary people so you really do need to be careful. The problem is, both my parents had sweet tooth and I grew up liking food too much and the lifestyle was hard to break. :(

15. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

True, it depends on your lifestyle. I remember my brother had diabetes but we never had one in our family - or at least that's what we know. So it really is important to watch what you eat especially if parents have the same condition.

16. Summer

Summer Member

Whew! This is a relief. I watch what I eat especially now that I am breastfeeding my baby. :) thanks for your insights.

17. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

That's why you should take insulin or oral sugar-lowering meds. These meds and insulin cannot pass through breastmilk so your child won't be getting the drugs.

18. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

I'm sure your OB can refer you to an internal medicine doctor for this. They can give you OHAs and insulin as @Leiah said, and their molecules are too large to pass on to breast milk. But of course, you need to tell your doc that you are breastfeeding. They will know what to do.

Princess likes this.
  19. Princess

Princess Active Member

Well said @Honeylette. Doctors know best. That's why it is best to consult your OB and ask for a referral to a general med doctor if needed :)