1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Too old to conceive?

Discussion in 'Wanting to conceive' started by Honeylette, Nov 4, 2016.

Can someone before menopause be too old to conceive?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
  2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Is there such a thing as too old to conceive?

My cousin is turning 36, and she still wants a third baby, but people kept telling her that she is getting too old to get pregnant.

She still hasn't hit menopause obviously, but is it a bad idea for them to try to have another baby at this age?
    Princess likes this.
  2. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

If they still have the ovum they can still conceive. However with older age, they need to try harder at that by using additional help such as supplements and other stuff (I read somewhere here about preseed).

Also, there are more risks to be wary of during pregnancy at an older age. So it means more strict monitoring by the OB and knowing what you're getting into.
    Princess and HappyMum like this.
  3. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I don't believe in that phrase, I believe that as long as your body is able it could happen. It might be a little difficult compared to the younger ones but still possible. This is exactly the reason why freezing of eggs is becoming crucial to millennials because the women of today want to take hold of their choices and be on top of their game before they decide to settle down and have a family of their own.
  4. I don't think someone is too old to conceive, unless of course she's menopause. What I know is if you're around late 30's you'll have difficulty when you're pregnant because you're body is not that young at that age.
  5. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

You can get pregnant as long as you're not menopausal, but the problem goes to your pregnancy becoming a bit risky.

Your lining gets thinner as you age, and your body isn't as good with coping with the additional stress as compared to your younger self. But I've seen so many ladies go through it without problem, and give birth to very healthy babies :)
    Princess likes this.
  6. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

With today's technology, age is just a number now. I know people who conceived at age 46! But it will really depend on how healthy your friend is. With the help of a little encouragement from friends and a good OB, i think your friend might still conceive :D
    Princess likes this.
  7. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I don't think so. I know someone who conceived when she was on her 40's. She had a healthy pregnancy and a healthy child as well. I think you just have to take good care of your baby when you want to conceive at a later part of your life.
  8. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I agree with above. With today's technology, nobody really is too old to conceive. one word. Madonna.
  9. Princess

Princess Active Member

I know, right? Lately technology is getting even more advanced, cloning and manipulating genes, sometimes its cares me.
    But I guess if it can help mothers who wish to have a child at a later age, then it must be good too :)
  10. Princess

Princess Active Member

I guess there's always a risk involved in this, but when they come through it all, they have a wonderful addition to the family and everything will be worth the struggle :D
  11. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

No, not exactly but there is such a thhing as high risk pregnancy, and usually women who are 36 above are at high risk for getting pregnant. Most of them get prescribed by their OB's tocolytic meds, or meds that are used to suppress premature labor
  12. I think the premise on being too old is now a thing of the past. Heck! I even saw one post detailing how an old woman offered to be a surrogate of her own daughter. I mean there are possibilities, they might not all be natural, or could be high risk but it remains a possibility for everyone so long as there's nothing wrong in that area.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    iamevallain likes this.
  13. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I saw this news as well. The only thing stopping people from having kids nowadays are themselves, adoption should also be considered as an option. You are never too old to care for another human being again.
  14. You are right! adoption should be the first thing in people's minds, there are a lot of children needing the love and care of a family.
  15. My partner and I are about the same age (39 and 37, respectively). we had no problems conceiving about 7 years ago, but now, we just can't seem to make it meet and match up. :/
  16. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I'm sorry to hear that :( But I think with this age, it would be good if you both release stress and really relax because at this age we seemed to be very busy with life and take things as fast as we could. Maybe slow down, and really take time to make up and make time for this.
  17. thanks for that, @MommyofTwo. we have been relatively busy, but we both haven't given up yet! haha. I hope we make it, while we still can. crossing my fingers!
  18. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I really don't think so. My mom got pregnant with my sister at 40 years old, and that was using technology of 30 years ago. What it does though is that there is greater risk to the pregnancy as you get older so extra monitoring will be done by your OB
  19. LizB

LizB Member

I agree with Solange's comments above. I am not that old yet, but it was already pretty risky for me. I can imagine it is harder for women of a certain age.
  20. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

Definitely, don't give up! Take things slow if you could on other things and focus on conceiving.

Okay, don't take this advice with malice but when we had our youngest, what we did was we did it every night for two weeks without fail! I swear, after a month I learned I was pregnant. Hahaha.
    Picked Peppers likes this.