1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

What Age is Good For Adoption?

Discussion in 'General Adoption Chat' started by HappyMum, Nov 3, 2016.

?

Should we adopt a baby or an older child?

1. baby (0-2 years)

50.0%
  2. toddler (3-5 years)

30.0%
  3. 5 years old and up

20.0%
  1. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

So as my two gentlemen have left the nest, my husband and I have been talking about adopting one more child. 25 years into marriage and you'd think we had enough of raising kids, but we do miss the vibrant joys of raising a kid, and we are really considering it.

What do you think, if we do go adopt, do you think it's best if we adopt a baby, toddler, or older child? Please take time to answer the poll above :)

2. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

My husband and I are also considering adoption later on, in case my body just wouldn't be able to make 1 more. Our answer is definitely a baby between 0-2 years old. We want to have a hand at those formative stages, and also give the experience to our son to take care of someone so small (like he used to be). :D But I know it's different for everyone. It would really depend on what you have energy for, i suppose.

3. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

Oh it would be wonderful to adopt, since many children are being abandoned or orphaned lately :(

In my opinion, it would be easier to establish values, beliefs, and relationship with adopted children when you start out young, while they are still developing their minds.

Not that I'm against adopting older kids, as they need the attention and love as well. But it all actually depends on your preferences, on what you feel when you see the kid(s) for the first time. Try visiting orphanages, adoption centers and youth centers to get a feel of what you and your husband would like. :)

Dilly's Mom likes this.
  4. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

That sounds like a good reason too!

5. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I would consider adopting an older child. The formative years reach up to age 6 and there's time to instill family values and beliefs by then. And not to mention that the terrible 2s are waning by that time as well.

6. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Oh yes, I can imagine having to take care of a toddler who has yet to trust and follow you. I personally think any age would do, but for best I would go with a younger age. But you do have a point there, and I may have to reconsider haha.

7. Princess

Princess Active Member

I don't mind skipping the toddler years, as I barely have enough energy to chase around the kids during their exploratory phase. I'd pretty much prefer older kids for that reason. Anyhow, it all goes down to chemistry. If you and your partner feel good about the kid, no matter what age he or she is, then he or she is the perfect child to adopt! ;)

8. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

This I agree with 100%, age should not be the only criteria to be considered. :)

9. I would go for 0-2 years old, so that I can enjoy the babyhood of the new member of the family, and you will really ave the experience of taking care of them while they're baby and you get to share the memories when they grow up.

10. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Thanks for your responses, they are very helpful. I have yet to make my mind, though hubby is more inclined to the toddler years :)

I was thinking of that as well, since I'd want to relive it all, sleepless nights and crazy energy from the young ones :D

11. When the time comes that I decide on adopting a child, which would probably be around the time you are contemplating because my kids would probably have their own lives. I might consider adopting a baby, I want to be part of the process despite the fact that he/she did not came from me, but I would probably offer foster care to older kids, just to give them a sense of family and if it works then maybe I could adopt them too.

12. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

Oh that's a great idea! I would go ask my husband about it. We are having a hard time keeping up with how the adoption process takes place. It's a bit hard to study everything there is to know about adopting the right way o_O

13. Maybe you could work with a social worker or visit orphanages regularly. I saw a news off Facebook that there's a retired soldier who volunteers in an orphanage just to hold and carry babies. I think that's pretty noble.

14. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

I would love to adopt a toddler, as I don't have any experience with handling babies so I guess that is much safer for both of us.

15. There's an inherent maternal instinct in all women which makes it easier for us to take care of children regardless the age. What's beautiful is that there's so much willingness in here that I am pretty sure a lot of kids would benefit from.