1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

when your kid is the bully

Discussion in 'Primary School Age' started by MrHandy, Jan 5, 2017.

1. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

I received a phone call from the vice principal yesterday. My 8-year-old child has been brought to the office because she was bullying and teasing and throwing crumpled paper all the time to two very shy students. She won't talk to us about it no matter how much we try.

I don't understand. They get what they want with proper limits, allowed to socialize with friends, we always have family time during weekends and dinner every night. They seem to be happy. I wonder where this comes from.

2. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Have you ever considered peer pressure or influence? I've seen this happen in movies a lot, even though they are not the most reliable source, sometimes the child doesn't mean to be the bad guy..

3. Princess

Princess Active Member

Is she talking to you now? Why not try to have a talk with her and your wife. Maybe she just needs a bit of guidance. Ask her why she does this and get her side of the story without sounding like you are accusing her.

4. Christie

Christie Active Member

Maybe you need help from another adult. Try a children's behavior counselor if the problem continues. Maybe she's not telling you something that you should be aware of. A good talk would really help.

5. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

Try to ask her what's going on and get her side. At these times, our children need to feel that you are not siding against her, but you should also be firm and side with what is right.

6. I think you can ask the teacher how your daughter behaves inside the classroom, aside from what she was doing with her classmates and who she mingles with. Kids are very easy to adapt the characteristics of the person they are with. Then maybe talk to her and ask why she was doing that and if she thinks it's the right thing to do. Communication is really the key here.

7. Kids are easily aggravated by little things, especially at their age. It may be that she was the bully, or might be otherwise, it depends on who saw what happened and what was the story that was played. bottom line is, we should be supportive but firm when dealing with kids.

8. MrHandy

MrHandy Member

Yeah, we have a parent-teacher talk coming up this Tuesday. I'm hoping things will get better after this talk.

9. Let us know how it goes! I hope things will be okay for your child. We don't want them to grow up picking on other kids as that is not what we want and teach them.

10. yup! little kids are innocent until proven guilty, much like us as adults! let's try to always get the story straight first before acting upon what happened.