1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Would you let a new doctor practice on you?

Discussion in 'Labor and Birth' started by JennyCannes, Dec 12, 2016.

Would you let a new doctor practice on you?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
  2. Never

4 vote(s)
  1. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

This is just a question out of curiosity. I'm pretty sure all our good doctors, even the best ones, have been newbies before they went up and became skilled.

Under strict supervision and guidance of a skilled senior doctor, are you willing to let new doctors or medicine students practice delivery and childbirth on you?
  2. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

I think the most I agreed to was for medical students to be present during delivery but I want my Pro OB to be at point. I remember that there were 2 medical students "assisting" my OB but they were just mainly observing. The nurses were still the one handing my OB stuff. :D If I didn't have complications, I might have agreed to a newbie delivering my child. But given my high-risk pregnancy, I opted for the professional and the wizened.
  3. I have had experience on this. The thing is, the student doctors really don't do the delivery, they are the assistants of your doctor. The only participation they do most of the time is they are the ones beside you through the whole process, usually measuring how many cms you are already.
  4. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I agree, my diabetes made my pregnancy high risk too, and I wouldn't be comfortable with a newbie doctor who has not encountered my case before.
  5. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

It depends on how they are introduced to you. My cousins are a family of doctors from my uncle's wife and her siblings, to their children, and this is what they went through.

Medicine "students" can be either:

- undergraduate theory students (the ones observing/watching)

- Undergrad medicine clerks (ones measuring and doing minor assists)

- Post-graduate medicine interns (no license yet but need to do the cases themselves under supervision - they need to do the cases to be allowed to take the licensure exam)

- Pre-residents (newly licensed but need more practice)

So really, when they say "students", they refer to the first one. The others are still students who need to practice on patients to learn the skills.

Like @Solange Diaz I allow them only if there are no complications.
    Christie likes this.
  6. Peachkins

Peachkins Member

The way I understood it, the students were just there to observe. I did not feel comfortable on the get-go about too many people looking in as my dr does her work, so I declined to allow them when i was in the hospital.
  7. Summer

Summer Member

For me, I would agree but only if there is an experienced doctor around too, whether be it about pregnancy, general or respiratory, or whatever. Not unless he/she didn't say he's/she's new, then I won't panic. I think. :D
  8. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

They do the cases too. But they are not allowed to practice and do the delivery themselves without the guidance of the senior doctors because they need the senior doctor's evaluation and grade and signature, and the nurse co-signs it too for proof.

They are very strict about it, so I'm not that worried. Haha.
  9. LizB

LizB Member

Oh is this a thing? Hmmm... I am probably going to be ok with it, for follow-ups and stuff. But perhaps not the actual delivery.
  10. This
    This is so true, plus it's difficult to tell if you're not a doctor yourself. I think we just need to watch out for medical malpractice.
  11. MommyofTwo

MommyofTwo Active Member

I don't mind new doctors doing check ups but for major surgery, unless I am not aware and there is an experienced doctor who assists the newbie, then it's definitely fine with me. Usually, you will know with how they communicate and their body language, and usually if they are younger doctors, most probably they are new.
  12. Summer

Summer Member

I will definitely panic and would more likely to switch doctors if I knew the doctor who's going to handle me is new, especially for surgery and procedures. I just can't.
  13. Christie

Christie Active Member

During my checkup, my OB asked me if I would be willing to let a medicine intern do my delivery when I am due. She assured me that she will be there and make sure nothing will go wrong and that there will be no mistake at all, so I agreed.

I think everyone needs to be given a chance, but I only agreed because I trust that OB so much, and she is our family OB for so long, for the whole extended family. She will never do anything that would break that trust :)
  14. Princess

Princess Active Member

My first baby was delivered by a medicine intern. That intern was the one who I talked to regularly from my first prenatal checkup to the last, and she did all my exams, internal exams, baby checks, fetal monitoring and all alongside my attending physician.

They did say she isn't licensed yet, but is on her way there. I allowed her to do it under my physician's guidance, mostly because we have a trust established already between us.
  15. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

I have been working with them in the hospitals, and they are being trained and they do the deliveries themselves because they are required to complete their cases for that.

I trust them but I would rather have the senior resident doctors and consultants rather than the interns and clerks do the delivery :p
  16. Princess

Princess Active Member

Haha, I guess it all lies on how much trust you have on them. If there's no trust, by all means choose the safer option :)
    JennyCannes likes this.
  17. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I think so too. I mean, I have mixed feelings about it, but I guess if I trust the person with my life and my child's life, I would. So most likely I would not allow it.
  18. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

If the new doctor is my relative, I would consider it. We have doctor relatives and I can trust them, but other than that, no.
  19. Honeylette

Honeylette Active Member

Yeah. This is why I keep a good relationship with my OB. I just want that trust to be there. It's the safety of the baby that we're talking about.
  20. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

In my humble opinion, I think doctors, whether freshly out of med school or a seasoned veteran, can deliver a baby no matter how many years of experience. You might say he/she's a "newbie", which is why you fret on trusting him/her completely. But doesn't learning for 10+ years of medicine, passing the board exams and then adding a few extra years of specialization for OB, make them qualified enough? so yes, I'd trust my doctor! :)