1. Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today!

Click here!

Welcome to Maternity Forum! Join The Global Pregnancy Community Today! Click here!

Zumba for Pregnant Moms?

Discussion in '1st Trimester' started by JennyCannes, Nov 22, 2016.

1. JennyCannes

JennyCannes Active Member

I have heard from a friend in Pennsylvania about doing Zumba specifically made for pregnant women. Do you think it's a good idea? I wonder if Zumba could provide good exercise for pregnant women.

Have you heard of it?

2. iamevallain

iamevallain Member

If you are already doing an exercise even before you got pregnant, you could continue your exercise and that's just fine. However, I think if you are just going to start on it, this is the worst time to do it. If the exercise is specifically custom made to fit pregnant women, then I do not see any problem with that, but again, it would depend on the type of pregnancy.

Leiah likes this.
  3. Leiah

Leiah Active Member

I agree with @iamevallain, you can do the pregnancy zumba only if you have been doing it before. Since anyone starting a new exercise regimen finds it difficult at first, trying out zumba now that you're pregnant might give you unnecessary stress for you and your baby.

4. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

It is a good exercise. But don't do so much jumping and squats or other moves that are too difficult or uncomfortable. There are also different stages of zumba, so find which stage you're fit to be in. But before you start any exercise routine, consult your OB first. And always, always listen to your body.

5. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

I can't imagine loving Zumba so much you would want to do it pregnant :) But it's different for everyone. I can imagine how happy the baby is inside though, with all the extra rocking and the lively music. :)

6. HappyMum

HappyMum Active Member

If you are a very fit woman even before pregnancy, starting Zumba at the beginners stage is good enough. Don't do it though if you're not a fitness enthusiast. I had friends who throughout their pregnancy even at 38+ weeks are exercising heavily, because their bodies are used to it. Ask for guidance from your OB always.

7. Dilly's Mom

Dilly's Mom Active Member

This is true. I was on bedrest up to my 7th month and was forbidden from exercise. Definitely no.Zumba for me back then

8. JennyCannes

Thanks everyone for your insights :) I'm not really that fit, but I do a bit of jogging every two days before I got pregnant. I guess that's not enough for me to go and try Zumba :p

9. I love belly dancing and have been doing it for a couple of months along with the hula hoop before I got pregnant. I still preferred to continue it until it hurt when my tummy is real big. Nothing bad happened to my baby, and I was even fit after the pregnancy so most of the ladies are correct with the assumption that if they are used to the exercise it's just fine. Keep listening to your body and I suggest you just stay with walking for a while until you give birth.

10. +1 for askig your OB about joining Zumba. Though I also know a celebrity who did that when she was pregnant, it's best that you are cleared with any possible problems with pregnancy before enrolling. But it looks fun. :)

11. Christie

Christie Active Member

Wow @rogerscarla171, I love watching women do belly dancing! I've never gone all out and did it because I'm not very confident about dancing like that, but I really think it's empowering for women :)

12. Oh, maybe that is one of the reasons why pregnant women who do exercise like Zumba dancing get to their normal body right after giving birth, could it be one of the reasons?

13. Solange Diaz

Solange Diaz Active Member

it could be one of the reasons. and maybe, you know, fit people really are just concerned about staying fit after pregnancy so they make it a priority. When I gave birth, I really didn't give a care about how my body looked. I was too frantic about taking care of the newborn. First baby, and all. Maybe next pregnancy, eh? :D

14. JennyCannes

I used to feel that way @Solange Diaz but seeing the celebrity moms and a lot of blogger moms posting their wonderfully fit post-pregnancy bodies makes me want to get back to my pre-pregnancy body as well! :p

15. I am not that good, it just so happens that I have been part of the group for a certain time and it became part of my routine. It was fun and I must admit that I enjoyed it a lot. I don't have the time to do it now though.

16. Alex Santiago

Alex Santiago Member

That's the kind of dance I envy people who are good at. I'm bad at dancing. But with belly dancing, even worse haha. It requires much grace and I do not possess grace at all. But I still love doing it anyway. When I give birth, I would try enrolling on one of those belly dancing classes.

17. I stopped a long time ago! It was really fun while it lasted. I couldn't even remember how thin I was before! I am overweight now and I hate myself because I have not exactly went back into exercising after the birth of my youngest a year ago.